Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,768   Online: 949

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I just checked the can and Protectan is 20 - 40% propane and >60% n-butane.

Wouldn't that make for a hazardous substance & Aust post will not post ? Propane & Butane are flammable substances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting point. It's not even legit to send batteries through (overseas) post, much less chemical in active or inactive state. Not sure about Australia Post. The devil is in the detail and finding out just what can and what cannot be sent, by whatever mail service is available, is a good idea.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I would like a film store that sells EVERYTHING produced by ALL manufacturers, for all markets. I would love to be able to go to one place and simply know that they will have WHATEVER I am looking for...and WHATEVER THERE IS. There are many good online film sources, but none that I know of truly offer 100% selection of all available goods. That would be a deal maker for me, personally. It is so hard to keep track of what films, papers, and chemicals are available in what markets, and when, as it is had to keep track of what products are actually being made (or no longer being made) by manufacturers. Even their own Websites are often unhelpful in this regard. I really wish that I could get things like Fuji Natura, 120 Superia 100 and 400, and whatever papers (AND whatever surfaces) are available, alongside my regularly-purchased items (like HP5, Delta 3200, Reala, etc.). If this place existed, and had competitive prices, I would patronize it almost exclusively.
    I am trying to get all of the above but i don't want to be stuck with stock i can't sell. In fact i am in the process of getting Natura 1600 as a few of my friends are desperate for it.

I'll put together a list of products which i want to stock upon startup and you guys can add anything which you want

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    I am trying to get all of the above but i don't want to be stuck with stock i can't sell. In fact i am in the process of getting Natura 1600 as a few of my friends are desperate for it.

I'll put together a list of products which i want to stock upon startup and you guys can add anything which you want
    The logistics and business considerations are as you mention. I would not expect such a store to have everything in stock. I just want the store to have EVERYTHING listed, and available for special order if desired.

BTW, I did a little Internet searching, and I think it sounds like Natura 1600 is the same thing as Superia 1600, which I believe is either discontinued, or no longer a U.S. product. (I had been told that it looks very different, but I guess it was B.S.) However, if it is still available, I would definitely buy two press packs of it (to start).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW .... having owned several small businesses is to start conservative and small. Be very selective in your offerings. Keep your costs shaved to the bone. Carve a micro niche within the analog macro niche. Customer service will make you or break you and so will costs, costs, costs.

As for shipping my rule would be charge real world price only, do not profit off shipping. Eliminate handling charges and apply a packaging charge only, it's different. Don't confuse the two. Handling charges are generally a rip off. A box, peanuts and tape doesn't cost much. However, shipping does so minimize those costs to your customers by eliminating that bogus handling charge. I know a little about this, I own a pack and ship store. What can affect your shipping is fuel surcharges, those are real costs imposed on you by the carriers, just don't inflate them. Shipping rates are bad enough without people trying to profit off them on the goods they sell.

Good luck to you, I admire anyone's efforts in small business endeavours. It takes courage, hard work and determination. Sell a good product with a fair margin and great customer service, all the while keeping all costs minimized and you will be successful.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Things I am definitely interested in that I can't get just anywhere, any time:

Superia Reala medium format
    Superia 400 medium format
    Superia 100 medium format
    Superia 800 135-36, press pack (I am finding it extremely painful to live without this film, so if it is still MADE, I wants it!)
    Superia 1600 135-36, press pack
    RA-4 paper, matte surface, all varieties (Though I almost always print 11x14 and smaller, I would buy the occasional box or two of 16x20 for a project.)
    Ilfochrome paper, all varieties (same notes as for the RA paper)
    C-41 hand tank kit with separate bleach and fixer (Fuji has a 5 L kit, and Kodak.....well, I think most of us need help figuring out exactly what Kodak has so we can put together a kit.)
    RA-4 home chemistry kit (Kodak or Fuji - You might have to put together the kit, or at least tell us what components to buy to make a batch)
    12x16 black and white fiber-based paper

I would also be interested in seeing the full list of paper sizes that all paper manufacturers cut.

Other than that, your normal stuff that most places have would cover most of what I need.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have attached a brief description of the products i will keep initially.

Working on a few more additions to that list but i will advise once i know

If you have a moment, have a look at the spreadsheet and give any recommendations you feel necessary.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew:

If you were in Canada, I would buy from you .

Is there demand for Kodak Portra 140/400 NC in 220 size in Australia/New Zealand? I think that there still is demand here in North America.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John R. View Post
    FWIW .... having owned several small businesses is to start conservative and small. Be very selective in your offerings. Keep your costs shaved to the bone. Carve a micro niche within the analog macro niche. Customer service will make you or break you and so will costs, costs, costs.

As for shipping my rule would be charge real world price only, do not profit off shipping. Eliminate handling charges and apply a packaging charge only, it's different. Don't confuse the two. Handling charges are generally a rip off. A box, peanuts and tape doesn't cost much. However, shipping does so minimize those costs to your customers by eliminating that bogus handling charge. I know a little about this, I own a pack and ship store. What can affect your shipping is fuel surcharges, those are real costs imposed on you by the carriers, just don't inflate them. Shipping rates are bad enough without people trying to profit off them on the goods they sell.

Good luck to you, I admire anyone's efforts in small business endeavours. It takes courage, hard work and determination. Sell a good product with a fair margin and great customer service, all the while keeping all costs minimized and you will be successful.

John
    Hi John,

Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate people taking their time to assist me in any way possible.

I will be charging shipping exactly what it costs, and if necesssary including a packaging charge for items over a certain size or volumetric weight - items which will require cartons or special packing materials.

Initially i will utilise prepaid satchels for the small item shipping, that way the cost is fixed and the postage is totally prepaid, avoiding bills later. Australia post do not give their premium services to people unless they ship at least 1500 parcels p/a - so there is no cost advantage for me or customers until that quota is attainable.

I am in discussions with a logistics company who can assist with shipping the large or dangerous items via road.

Also, i'll be carrying a good range of products, buying in enough stock to get a reasonable price but also not getting too much that i can't sell within a reasonable timeframe.
    A lot of products have quite a long shelf life but others are dated for about 12 months from manufacture (slide films, for example)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewkirkby View Post
    I have attached a brief description of the products i will keep initially.

Working on a few more additions to that list but i will advise once i know

If you have a moment, have a look at the spreadsheet and give any recommendations you feel necessary.
    You have got me drooling...all the best

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin