Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,075   Online: 865

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Your thoughts and wishes - online film store

Hello all,

I have been selling quite a lot of film over the past 2 years and have decided to turn it into a bit more of a commercial venture.

I started buying bulk fresh and expired films to satisfy my own needs and found a few friends wanting films. I have since sold on ebay and to quite a few people around the tracks, especially those who use toy cameras - buying at retail stores is notoriously expensive and often difficult.

I want to make film and materials more accessible to people and hopefully get more people using film in Australia and NZ.

So, i have registered a domain and work is underway on www.analogphoto.com.au

What i need is your thoughts and ideas for this project. I am going to sell all kinds of film, paper and chemicals but what i don't know is what everyone is buying and/or trying to buy here.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I use every size from 8X10 to 35mm B/W. I've been using Foma 35mm, 120 and 4X5 100 and 400 ASA and like it a lot. I would also like to try (again, after many, many years), Adox in those sizes.

Ted Edkins: tedkins@westnet.com.au

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Andrew. Just what AU needs - get tired of *not* being able to purchase the film I want and wait for weeks, then finding that the price quoted has increased due to changes in exchange rate.

Guess best thing would be to have a variety of film, chemicals, paper etc available and charge a fair postage price for anything we order. I hate websites that happily charge me $50 for one roll of film or 10 - sorry but that is outright gouging.

I am extremely partial to Agfa chemicals and the new ADOX replacement paper to Agfa's MCC & MCP range. I also love using Fomapan in my 620 folder and would love access to ADOX' range of film also. At present I'm using 35mm and 120, and offering in larger sizes will make many APUGers that are into large format very, very happy, I'm sure.

Guess you'll get a great deal of feedback very soon from all AU and NZ members soon (maybe even OS??) and you'll be able to gauge what stock you'll need to supply accordingly.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I buy different films all the time, so no point listing any products. However I would say that for online purchases price is the main factor. Before you commit too much to your venture I'd suggest you make sure you can be competitive with sellers such as 'cheap shots' on ebay Australia, and Freestyle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    I buy different films all the time, so no point listing any products. However I would say that for online purchases price is the main factor. Before you commit too much to your venture I'd suggest you make sure you can be competitive with sellers such as 'cheap shots' on ebay Australia, and Freestyle.
    Essentially the thing that kills is the postage, especially from the USA. US based companies can sell the products at fantastic prices and offer a great range but the USPS and other shipping companies seem to charge through the roof

Prices will be competitive with those sellers. Keeping in mind that eBay/paypal takes a significant chunk of profit, i think the stand alone online store model is one that will be beneficial to my customers.

I plan to stock a good range of LF film as i know there is a good market out there and it is the hardest stuff to get.

I will also be offering services such as film processing and printing and having a gallery to showcase product results and customer images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blanconegro fills this niche to some extent, but it's restricted to foma products. If you could be an Australian version of ag-photographic in the UK, I'd be quite happy
    I'd be interested in being able to find kentmere papers more readily, my local doesn't stock much of a range, but they have plenty of Ilford. If you can get a roll of 36/ex HP5+ down below $8, I'll buy it from you.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    I second the ADOX film & any Agfa stuff you can get your hands on. There is like three sources of Agfa now Agfa Photo, Adox & Rollei Maco. Which is the truer Agfa product is up for discussion, but all I care about is availability at a reasonable cost.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey this is great. Cheapshots may be good for film but if you can stock a decent range of paper then I will be in love and turn to you for film as well.

Les Porter is another fellow you have to compete with though. His prices are on par with shop retailers like Photo Continental so its not fantastic however he is a brilliant source for Rodinal.

Either way if you get this up and running then I will support it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll back up what Fleath has said about being an Aussie equivalent of ag-photographic. Obviously, I think you need to stock the staples at competitive prices - I.E., Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, but be flexible enough to stock the more specialty and niche films.

It would also be cool if you could fill the gaps that was once RA-4 processing. The only chems available now are the tetenal kits. Yes, I know, papers are harder to get and find as well, so it would also be cool if you could actually offer a cut sheet service? (I know, a long shot, but I am just putting it out there. Heck, I haven't even yet started doing RA-4!!!)

Just as a side note, it appears that Kodak may start disappearing off of general photo retailers shelves (for those that still sell film...). I went into one of the bigger retailers in Adelaide and was shocked/suprised that they had no Kodak Colour film in stock at all. Appears that Kodak want them to hold too much stock, which they cannot turn around. Simple answer for them is to no longer stock Kodak films.grrrrrrr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sounds great and all the best with it. I am not a big user, but go through about 3-5 rolls of both 120 and 35mm a month. I mainly use TMAX and Portra (but love to try new films also) and up until now have made 'bulk' orders from the States every six months. Whilst price is a factor, it's availability that's my main priority. If you're prices were say halfway between the 'US' and local price then I'd be a regular customer. I use XTOL as a developer and Ilford stop, fixer. These have been purchased from a 'largish photo chain store' in Sydney but I get frustrated with the service and them never telling me when things are on back order! Aagghhh! Hoping to get into printing in the next few months also.

Page 1 of 16 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin