Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,966   Posts: 1,523,325   Online: 1194

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Scanning in Melbourne?

Ok, I know that's half digital and given time and space I'd set up my darkroom again. However...

I'm trying to get a bunch of 6x6 frames scanned at pretty decent quality and I'm having trouble finding a reasonably priced way to do so. Image Science over in North Melbourne do very nice scans for $10 a pop, which is great if you need only a couple frames, but that starts to add up pretty quickly.

I'm more concerned with depth of colour, noise and sharpness than out and out resolution.

Does anyone know somewhere that has good quality scanning at reasonable bulk rates? For that matter, I can send the film, I'd rather not have to though.

If I can scan cheaply I'll shoot more film, otherwise I'll have to look at going digital. I really don't want to do that.

Cheers

Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Pete, How many is a bunch?
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Scanners aren't that expensive.
    Do you want scans of B&W negs? Color Transparencies? Negs?
    Peter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A bunch is several years worth, I think I could happily scan 100 frames tomorrow. Perhaps 40% B&W, a lot of which I have never proofed, 50% trans and the rest colour neg.

I used to use a Canon 9900F, which was ok for proofing and some screen work, but I was never very happy with it, particularly for printing. I could probably stretch to buying the Epson 700 flatbed, but I'm worried it will be the same story. It seems a shame to shoot MF on a nice camera (Mamiya 6MF, in the last couple of years, transparencies look extraordinary) and then show everyone poor scans.

I'd be quite happy to hire a scanner and then scan myself.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pete - I can certainly relate to your dilemma ;-) It's something I have struggled with recently. Can't really afford a Nikon 9000 at Australian prices (and they're tough to come by also) and sending out for scanning is a real waste of time, hassle and gets very pricey over time.

I am currently using the V700 and getting the odd pic drum scanned. I personally love scanning, but it's certainly a time waster. I intend eventually on purchasing a 9000, and not looking forward to having to rescan everything. No betterscanning holder, wet mount or glass turns the V700 into anything other than a $800 scanner - it's good for the price of course, but nothing more.

Shooting MF films make SO much sense but for most of us, we need some kind of digital file. Ideally I will be wet printing soon but even so, I think I'd like to scan as well (although then I'd just be happy with the V700 scanning prints). I guess this discussion is for hybridphoto.com.

If you can't afford a 9000 or similar, I'd probably get a V700 and get the best shots done at Image Science as you suggested.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I should also mention that some labs offer decent Frontier scans, but generally res is limited. The most I could ever get was a 25mb scan 8 bit. Might be fine for a 10x10 but that's about it, and defeats the purpose of shooting MF IMO.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mesh View Post
    I should also mention that some labs offer decent Frontier scans, but generally res is limited. The most I could ever get was a 25mb scan 8 bit. Might be fine for a 10x10 but that's about it, and defeats the purpose of shooting MF IMO.

I think the Epson V500 scanner does a better job than a Fuji Frontier. So a scan with a V700 & Nikon 9000 is defiantly better. Nothing is ever better than in its original format.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    I think the Epson V500 scanner does a better job than a Fuji Frontier. So a scan with a V700 & Nikon 9000 is defiantly better. Nothing is ever better than in its original format.
    Depends who does the Frontier scan ;-) I agree 99% of lab scans are crap, but the scanner itself is extremely good. Certain labs (Allchromes in Brisbane springs to mind) do a great job. Their Frontier scans are sharper with considerably better dynamic range than an Epson. But I agree - you lose control and only the photographer knows how he or she wants a pic scanned.

Really the only options most of us have, is a 9000, second hand Imacon, or Minolta Dual. Considerably money either way! But then only a decade or two ago most of us were getting drums scans at $100 a pop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you could photograph the black and white and color trans on a light box with a digital camera - I've used compact digital cameras, plus D SLR's with macro lenses, and the results, especially for black and white are as good as a scan - I can print A3 without a problem..

For commercial scans try Croydon Camera House - give them a call and ask for Andrew - if you explain you have a bulk lot of 120 to scan they will give you a discount - they've scanned quite a few negs for me - they use a Nikon scanner - the scans work out at around 80 meg each
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pete (that's a good name you've got) you don't want to print ALL your B&W/trans/Color negs do you. If you're like me, about one in six is a printer and about on in six of those is wall-hangable. What you want is a quick-and-dirty way to preview ALL of your shots for cataloging and evaluation - the light-box-and-digital-camera idea is the cheapest and easiest. I use a 300DPI scan of my 5x4 negs for that purpose - because I have a scanner.
    Then you will want to do good prints off your selected shots, so only THOSE need critical treatment.
    Pete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin