Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,545   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my town, I have three stores, all within 200 paces of each other, who do C41 processing. Two of them do rollfilm too.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's great to hear! To be honest, I actually hadn't thought of heading to Big W for film processing, haven't gone to one of them in, well, a long time! What are they charging for dev + print these days?

Steve, have been meaning to get in touch with you re developing too, would be interested to find out what you're charging too.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    I did a quick check on my own shop/labs stats. For the first 6 months of 2010 our film processing, C41, was down 37% on the same period for 2009.

From the 1st of July to today it is down 30%, so you could say it has had a 7% increase!!

I was talking to our Fuji engineer a few weeks ago, he was down to service our machines, and he told me that a lot of the mini labs in Dublin and the like are only running their C41 processor 2 or 3 times a week. This I find odd, its like catch 22. If you dont offer the service on a daily basis then you wont get the through put. I think 2 or 3 times a weeks will put people off leaving in their films.

We also do our own B&W processing by hand and that has kept constant, an average of 3 to 4 films a month over the last two years

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    That's great to hear! To be honest, I actually hadn't thought of heading to Big W for film processing, haven't gone to one of them in, well, a long time! What are they charging for dev + print these days?

Steve, have been meaning to get in touch with you re developing too, would be interested to find out what you're charging too.
    SteveR, it's 6.99 for either 24 or 36 exposures with prints. I think you get a discount if you go over 3 rolls of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foc View Post
    I did a quick check on my own shop/labs stats. For the first 6 months of 2010 our film processing, C41, was down 37% on the same period for 2009.

From the 1st of July to today it is down 30%, so you could say it has had a 7% increase!!

I was talking to our Fuji engineer a few weeks ago, he was down to service our machines, and he told me that a lot of the mini labs in Dublin and the like are only running their C41 processor 2 or 3 times a week. This I find odd, its like catch 22. If you dont offer the service on a daily basis then you wont get the through put. I think 2 or 3 times a weeks will put people off leaving in their films.

We also do our own B&W processing by hand and that has kept constant, an average of 3 to 4 films a month over the last two years

That's a bit better (2-3 x a week) than the high street dig here in Geelong, that only fires up its E6 machinery on Friday mornings, making everybody wait. "Nobody uses that [E6] film any more", says he. Bollocks!! I gave up their caper ages ago and now get it done in Melbourne, and much cheaper to boot.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    SteveR, it's 6.99 for either 24 or 36 exposures with prints. I think you get a discount if you go over 3 rolls of film.
    yea its like $7 bucks for a 24exposure roll process and print. I don't want to crush my own business by saying this but I feel for what you pay them and the result you get, the service is value for money.

That being said if a film gets slightly scratched or there is a dust mark on a print or if the colour is slightly out well thats the price to pay for a cheaper service. I did an experiment I took a few rolls of colour film to woolworths and a few other labs. All films had the same images shot on them so i could compare processing and printing. What came back did surprise me. I thought the results of the cheap woolworths service came back good and that any general punter would be more than happy. in some cases the woolworths prints were better than some more local privately owned minilabs.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Stephen F, it's good for the price you pay.

I use colour for snapshots though so I'm not discerning when it comes to print quaility.

Shooter
    35mm
    We're swamped with film processing too here in the San Francisco Bay Area where there are already lots of photographers shooting film or returning to film or shooting film and digital side by side. Our lab is seeing lots of both color and b&w 120 film from toy camera shooters and from landscape/nature photographers. I wonder if some of the cool iPhone apps like Hipstamatic make people long for a real film camera!
    Andrea McLaughlin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've talked to quite a few shooters out there and they're all having a film craze. I think digital is at a point where people are just sick of the usual crap with refreshes every 12-18 months for the same old bull and throwing money down the drain. Lots have figured out that they can use their old film cameras and actually do better work while having a great time again. I know I have my freezer stocked up and have been buying up a storm (and shooting more than ever). And, yes, Andrea is correct. Apps like Hipstamatic are actually making people long for film again. Hey, I bought a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye after playing with that

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently I needed some pictures for insurance purposes and took the roll of print film to Wal-Mart for processing. They have gotten rid of all their machines in store and now can only offer a 7 day turn around. They were kind enough to point me to a local drug chain which still offers 60 min turn arnound. Sounds rather ominous to me!
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin