Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,764   Online: 1062

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
    I like your signature. Was this obscure?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Recently I needed some pictures for insurance purposes and took the roll of print film to Wal-Mart for processing. They have gotten rid of all their machines in store and now can only offer a 7 day turn around. They were kind enough to point me to a local drug chain which still offers 60 min turn arnound. Sounds rather ominous to me!
    Jerry,

I don't know about ominous. Unfortunately, the quality output of all these places has been down the tubes for a while. I stopped taking any C41 to the various Costco, Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. All I get back is horribly scratched, poorly processed negs. The "lab technicians" at these places, (if you can even call them that), are inept and the machines likely poorly maintained. This means that there will probably be, once again, opportunities for smaller labs and entrepreneurs looking to fill in voids and offer quality work, albeit at a slightly higher price. It all works out in the end.

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    SteveR, it's 6.99 for either 24 or 36 exposures with prints. I think you get a discount if you go over 3 rolls of film.
    That's great, I think the last time I got a roll of 35mm C41 done it was about 16-18 with standard 6x4 prints (that came back in gloss, not matte like I requested)...

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yep it's bloody good and they give you matte if you ask

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    That's great, I think the last time I got a roll of 35mm C41 done it was about 16-18 with standard 6x4 prints (that came back in gloss, not matte like I requested)...
    Highway robbery. My local BigW does great work for around $7/roll of 6x4's and around $14 for 5x7's. I wonder if you have a BigW or Kmart there that you could try?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Mathison View Post
    I wonder if you have a BigW or Kmart there that you could try?
    I have several! I've only ever seen signs up for digital processing, not that I've ever gone to the trouble of asking. I go through so little colour 35mm that I've usually just ended up taking it to the guys that do my other formats (at a relatively reasonable rate). I'll be sure to give BigW a try next time, especially after all these good reports. Thanks guys.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    I stopped taking any C41 to the various Costco, Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. All I get back is horribly scratched, poorly processed negs. The "lab technicians" at these places, (if you can even call them that), are inept and the machines likely poorly maintained.
    There's a lot of variation from place to place, though. I've located a CVS whose photo lab is run by an Actual Photographer, a large-format guy who seems to take it all seriously enough to run a fairly tight ship. I don't shoot much C-41 and virtually never for anything critical, but I've been happy with the results there. On the other hand, their sister shop a couple of miles away butchered everything I ever gave them.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Instant Films
    @tomalophicon: Are you sure anyone does E-6? Because I haven't found anyone. BICA sends it off to Adelaide, and Photographics International (kingston) sends it off to BICA, who then send it off to Adelaide. Who does it it locally? They would be much more convenient!

And for those who don't need prints, I don't know if this has been said but Big W will develop-only for about $1.97 a roll C-41! Also consider joining the Canberra Flickr group; some guy on there offered to let people use his Jobo and says he can do E-6, C-41 and B&W.

OH, and Kmart is slowly swapping to a HP Digital-only lab

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darcyjohnperkins View Post
    @tomalophicon: Are you sure anyone does E-6? Because I haven't found anyone. BICA sends it off to Adelaide, and Photographics International (kingston) sends it off to BICA, who then send it off to Adelaide. Who does it it locally? They would be much more convenient!

And for those who don't need prints, I don't know if this has been said but Big W will develop-only for about $1.97 a roll C-41! Also consider joining the Canberra Flickr group; some guy on there offered to let people use his Jobo and says he can do E-6, C-41 and B&W.

OH, and Kmart is slowly swapping to a HP Digital-only lab
    Camera House in the City does E-6.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I own and operate The Lighthouse Lab in NSW and I process E-6 dip and dunk up to 11x14" sheet daily.
    I also process C-41, B&W and Scala and I am aware there are fair few other labs around Australia still processing E-6, C-41 & B&W. they are there! I promise.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin