Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,344   Online: 881

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

High demand for film processing

I was in Big W to get some colour film processed. It was a Saturday.
    They usually are able to get my film within an hour, but on that particular day the attendant said they were over come with orders to process film and couldn't get it finished until late on Sunday.
    I could see a very large amount of prints getting ejected and the machine working like crazy.

I think it's a good sign

They still stock a massive amount of fuji and kodak 'basic' negative film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be that they are the only store actually processing film in the area. It's reached a point now here where I live in Turkey that many of the smaller labs don't process C41 films at all, all input is via digital media.

The same had happened where I come from in the UK, only only maybe two of the processors handles films now, as a consequence they are very much busier. Three supermarkets offered a 1 hour film service, that's all stopped in the last year, no processing counters or minilab on display, justdigital kiosks.

The good sign is it makes the smaller number of stores still doing C41 more viable.

Ian

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Nope there are still plenty of stores doing c41 processing here. For a small town we even have a couple that will do slide film and one will do black and white.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Nope there are still plenty of stores doing c41 processing here. For a small town we even have a couple that will do slide film and one will do black and white.
    This is unusual, but the story is encouraging. I dropped into a local camera store last weekend (at least the most local camera store around, about 2 hours north from me) and the owner said he had sold more film and chemicals in the past six months than in the past two years.

Perhaps we've hit the bottom for now, and we can reach a reasonable equilibrium of stable sales.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    WallyWorld sells film here (I bought some today) but doesn't process it (eh?) And I bought Tri-X for my sons to use, from the local shop, the shop guys I have known for about 40 years. No B/W process there, E-6 once a week (!) and C-41. Gotta support the local shops!
    I asked if they had any HC110 or TMax- no go, just powders. OK, I've used D76 longer than I can recall, so I guess I will continue

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tac View Post
    WallyWorld sells film here (I bought some today) but doesn't process it (eh?) And I bought Tri-X for my sons to use, from the local shop, the shop guys I have known for about 40 years. No B/W process there, E-6 once a week (!) and C-41. Gotta support the local shops!
    I asked if they had any HC110 or TMax- no go, just powders. OK, I've used D76 longer than I can recall, so I guess I will continue
    The WallyWorlds here sell C-41 film, but not B&W (they do have the C-41 B&W).

The CVS stores invariably have Kodak Tri-X 135-24 that's overpriced. But I buy one a month just to keep the inventory tickled in the big computer in the sky. I figure if 500 people a month buy one roll of film in a CVS store they'll keep it in inventory.

Yea, I know I can buy three rolls of Arista Premium 135-36 for the price on one CVS roll of Tri-X 135-24. I realize that completely. But one roll of film per month won't break me (skip McD's one day), and we need to shoot film if we want them to keep making film. Kodak, Ilford, ADOX, and whoever else you want to name don't sell charm. They sell film.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tomalophicon where are you based, Im in Sydney Australia. It is so uplifting to hear my lab isn't the only lab down here busy processing film.
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Tomalophicon where are you based, Im in Sydney Australia. It is so uplifting to hear my lab isn't the only lab down here busy processing film.
    I'm in Camden. Local camera store still processes C-41 in APS, 35mm and 120 as well as XP2. He has to send normal B&W out for processing - sends it to me, I do it at home then he does the printing, and he runs a credit/debit account with me so I can just go in and get stuff from him and he contra's it off my account. Neat!
    Last edited by Leigh Youdale; 08-11-2010 at 12:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: duplicated word

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    Stephen, I'm in Canberra. Yes, it's a good thing.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    I'm in Camden. Local camera store still processes C-41 in APS, 35mm and 120 as well as XP2. He has to send normal B&W out for processing - sends it to me, I do it at home then he does the printing, and he runs a credit/debit account with me so I can just go in and get stuff from him and he contra's it off my account. Neat!
    That's pretty cool.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin