Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,755   Online: 1190

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know about almost empty cinemas, but I usually attend them during the day, so my POV is a little tilted. I find it a luxury to be able to pick a seat close to the screen where my eyes are filled to the maximum and I'm lined up nicely with the speakers (those big professional ones that wouldn't fit in your lounge room). The excluded at my closest cinema are those who are quite happy to watch a subtitled movie, for this I always have to travel 80 km to the city.

Some cinemas in Sydney are attempting to extend their reach by showing HD Digital opera performances from the NY Met. and I read today of a proposal to screen plays recorded from local theatres.

As a side issue I wonder if digital projection is a better prospect than film proper for reliable projection standards? It's a bad experience to find yourself watching a film which is "out of rack" or focus and not fixed. At moments like this I assume the "projectionist" is making the popcorn. Projectionists once were craftspeople of long training.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    If I might suggest, an independent or repertory theater might be more your style. They show better films in a more adult atmosphere and they hire more competent employees.
    I second that. At least here in Europe, most medium sized cities have at least one independent theatre showing "quality" or better said "non-mainstream" films, without the usual hang-out of hundreds of youth. I am lucky enough to have a very good and nice one here in my home town. Enjoyed it a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    I find it interesting to think that many people will spend $1,000 on a flat screen TV, $500 on a home theater sound system and another $250 on a Blu-Ray player, not considering that they could have spent $50 per week for almost 9 months, watching movies in a theater, before they would repay their investment in a home theater system. They don't have to go to the video store. (Which might be just as far away as a movie theater.) They won't have to pop their own popcorn or make their own snacks. They won't have to worry about hooking up and operating the equipment. All they'll have to do is walk in, sit down and watch a movie. When they are done, they don't even have to clean up after themselves. They can just leave their cups in the cup holders and their empty popcorn bags on the floor.
    All of your remarks are sound , but it disregards one important aspect about the "home-theatre": flexibility. You can watch the movie at any time you want, and even decide to take a break. In addition, one aspect of convenience you ignored, no more getting wet trying to reach the cinema during a down pour because you had made an appointment to do so...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correct. Convenience and schedule flexibility are important but people will go to movies and give in on those issues *IF* the theater gives them what they want.

If a person can go to the theater, walk in, sit down, eat his snacks and see a good movie in a comfortable, pleasant atmosphere without having to do anything but show up at a theater at the appointed time, he will pay for the ticket.

If the theater is shabby, full of kids, noisy, uncomfortable, full of uncaring employees who treat the customer like cattle, people will not go to the theater even if it is the biggest blockbuster to come down the pipe since "Gone With the Wind."

Give the customer a good experience, they will pay. Treat the customer like crap they will stay home. Simple as that.

This is why theaters are starving for customers. They treat people like crap.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin