Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,565   Online: 1232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Arts Freedom Australia Rally in Sydney this Sunday

This coming Sunday August 29 please consider joining a rally in Sydney to protest the increasing restrictions on and intimidation of photographers and other visual artists.
    Assemble a Campbells Cove at 10am.

http://www.artsfreedomaustralia.com/blog/
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...eedomAustralia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ABC Radio National previewed this today. I'm sorry to say that I do wonder how many more photographs of Uluru or Kakadu, especially in the over the top full on colour and highly remunerative style of Ken Duncan do we need? If the indigenous mob, who gave Uluru back to Australia don't like the idea why not archive the infinite number of pics taken there and look for something truly artistic and original?

No, not the Sydney Opera House, nor Sydney Harbour, nor the Sydney skyline at night

There's some US site Antelope crevasse or something like that that is also endlessly photographed: once seen, to be duplicated ad infinitum.

Now if Ken Duncan and co were to stick up for the rights of street photography...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which RN program, Ross? I would be interested in having a listen if I can track it down on the ABC website.
    Thanks
    Ian

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ross,

That's Antelope Canyon. But scant few photographers actually make a solid fist of the complexity of imaging that environment presents. I've only seen 3 LF prints locally here in Victoria from a guy who went over to the US specifically to photograph that and revisited 8 times before getting it right. It is the play (and rays) of light that is the key.

I think Uluru is abjectly boring. It was much more interesting on the day when Lindy Chamberlain wailed, "A photographer snatched my baby!", or something. I'd like to photograph it (the rock, I mean) in either tungsten or mono with water cascading off it. Not interested in colour pics of it.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 08-26-2010 at 04:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    While I agree with your sentiments of Ken Duncan (He is a fantastic photographer, Just ask his publicist.....) and probably your sentiments in relation to the big tourist sites they are referencing, I do support what they are trying to do. Yes, we have all seen enough images of Uluru, but if the local governments can apply such restrictions, what's to say they won't apply such restrictions on anything that is in their jurisdiction?

BTW, what restrictions are there on Street Photography in this country? I have never seen too many complaints (but then again, I don't live in the Police state of NSW)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    While I agree with your sentiments of Ken Duncan (He is a fantastic photographer, Just ask his publicist.....) and probably your sentiments in relation to the big tourist sites they are referencing, I do support what they are trying to do. Yes, we have all seen enough images of Uluru, but if the local governments can apply such restrictions, what's to say they won't apply such restrictions on anything that is in their jurisdiction?

BTW, what restrictions are there on Street Photography in this country? I have never seen too many complaints (but then again, I don't live in the Police state of NSW)
    Yes, you don't have to be into cheesy oversized colour postcards to be concerned about restrictions on photography in National Parks, beaches, etc. Most of the current national park restrictions seem to be directed at commercial photography (at the moment anyway), so that doesn't directly concern me, but it is surely only a matter of time before I have to argue with a ranger that a tripod and large camera do not equal "professional".

As for the "NSW police state", we all have our crosses to bear, even in sunny Qld. You poor Sth Australians have to put up with Alexander Downer!

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... and Christopher Pyne...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been seriously hassled and threatened 6 times in the last 5 years and had the police called on me twice so I don't really care what people think of Duncan's photography in this context. He is a big name getting publicity for a good cause. Does it help to know Rex Dupain is also attending?!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    ... and Christopher Pyne...
    Thanks for reminding me.... (at least we don't have Mr Joyce...but hey, he told us all to move where there is more water..... Hmmm, maybe we should set up a tent city on Cubbie Station? Anyhow thats enough of that,else we start talking religion!).

As for the Rally, you guys have my support! Good luck (& yes you are right, having profiles as Mr Duncan involved is well worth it, regardless of what this (meaning me) rank amateur weekend warrior things of him!).

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In reference to the post by Tony Egan, that is astonishing. I have never been threatened, hassled, badgered, bumped or buggered by anybody in my time using a camera, anywhere. I've had a dog mistake my leg as a piddle-post, and another, a Jack Russell, mistake a tripod leg for a bone. But ... police etc being called? What's this about then? A few years ago the local camera club took offence at being labelled "terrorists" for photographing large round gas storage domes at the Corio Refinery. Somebody called the Police, they were all bundled up and taken for questioning!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin