Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 640

Shooter
    Multi Format

Heads Up: Mamiya 6 at Michaels

I had a little bit of slack time to fill in the (Melbourne) CBD yesterday, and as is my wont if I'm in the area, I went and had a look in Michaels window. I like looking at the second-hand windows at Michaels because it gives me some light entertainment looking at their price tags, and there is sometimes some interesting or rare gear to look at; I haven't actually bought anything there for many many years.

To cut to the chase, I noticed yesterday that they currently have a Mamiya 6 with 3 lenses - 50, 75, and 150 - which has a price tag of $2,199. Now I'm not in the market for a Mamiya 6, mainly because I can't afford it, but that price looked not unreasonable to me for what it is. So I checked with the benchmark - KEH - and it seems that it is a fairly reasonable price for such a setup. If you are in the market for a Mamiya 6 and you are in Oz it might be worth looking at.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw one yesterday at the camera fair in Box Hill for $750, with 1 lens. Though I kept their business card, and details to myself as I want to buy it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing in Michaels window is cheap in relation to what it is. True as you said, good for a bit of a giggle now and then. I generally source long and hard elsewhere. Would suggest going a few doors up to Camera Exchange; they recently had a Mamiya RB67 kit with 4 lenses (!), spare 6x6 back and bracket, Excellent ++ for $900. Sold after a fortnight.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Whenever I come down to Melbourne I go and have a look at the Michael's window....their prices are Dreamland...but obviously some must pay them...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I saw one yesterday at the camera fair in Box Hill for $750, with 1 lens. Though I kept their business card, and details to myself as I want to buy it

Cough up ze details for your poor comrades, or I'll send in The Heavies!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    There's a Mamiya 6 with 75 and 150 for around 1000US

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin