Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,250   Online: 1035

Shooter
    Multi Format

Inaugural NSW Parliamentary Plein Air Photo Prize

Any opinions on this $10,000 first prize show? (Too late for this year BTW)

The display--at NSW Parliament House--ends this Thursday.

The selectors like digital and colour it appears. I'd bet London to a brick that lots of digital manipulation went into some prints.

The "gallery" was bloody awful for viewing, reflected lights obscuring many prints.

However it's on again next August (of course that is after the NSW elections, so don't regard that as gospel) so think about it, especially if you have a name that the selectors know:

http://www.parliamentaryphotoprize.com.au/

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Eeeeck look at the colours on the winning picture!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hadn't heard of this comp until now.
    That winning photo uses painting with light. Probably done with a torch at night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My limited French tells me that Plein Air means painting outdoors, so painting with light outdoors is, or seems to me to be a literal translation, of what was asked for.

Trust the politicians to use French words for something, must be the fancy French restaurants they go to on their parliamentary expense accounts, eh?

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Eeeeck look at the colours on the winning picture!
    Agree, yikes!

Although I have seen successful and beautiful "painting with light" colour photos (I remember one from a National Geographic edition with a camping site in the middle of a dessert in between the dunes), this particular picture would have done way better in monochrome..
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I hadn't heard of this comp until now.
    That winning photo uses painting with light. Probably done with a torch at night.
    It was advertised in the Sydney Morning Herald once about 3 weeks before close of acceptance of entries. The winning picture by Peter Solness was indeed "painting with light".

I found myself sprinting past most, lots of digital cliches.

There is another competiton (assuming the NSW Government doesn't fall apart altogether before that time) in 10 months or so, see:

http://www.parliamentaryphotoprize.com.au/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like Peter's photography and he is a really nice guy. There was an exhibition of his work at Custom's House recently with a great video on how he makes his shots. There are also some funny clips on Youtube about some of his night time exploits. I say a deserved winner!

http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony, quite an interesting insight of a creative mind. Loved the detailed description of the roo suit.

Mick.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin