Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,421   Online: 936

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Mick, that would be fantastic. You're kind to make that offer.

I'm moving to Armidale in Northern NSW. I'll be leaving around the 9th or 10th of January. I'll be in Canberra till then.

Outback? Like the Red Centre?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    There is mainline photo in Sydney whom I could not recommend more highly
    the owners name is Scott and he knows his products inside and out. Check out the link below

http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/
    Stephen, I'll check it out. There were no cameras on their website so just assumed they didn't have any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe not quite the centre, but we have 3½ weeks and we have enough water for 10 days, actually 15 days, but with the heat we are conservative.

Certainly outback NSW and up into QLD or over to the top of SA, possibly hanging around somewhere that suits us. We have a camper that is solar powered for everything permanently and gas for cooking. Gas lasts about 3 months.

View cameras use no power.

Do you know of anyone coming up from Melbourne that could take a kit up? We leave next week and get back for work on the 17th of January.

We will have someone in the house, but they haven't a clue about photography.

Mick.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    That sounds great Mick. What a perfect way to spend a month! I'm jealous!

No I don't know of anyone coming up. I'll have a think though and see if I can come up with something.

Thanks,

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pros and cons of 45 CX

The Toyo was my first camera a few years ago (yeah I learnt to drive in a Land Rover, too).

It doesn't have geared movements but fine focus is geared. To use the common Linhof sized lensboards it is necessary to use an adaptor. The fittings for rear and front elements are not metal, but a rugged plastic which has been durable. The ground glass doesn't have fresnel, but I'd imagine that for studio use that this would not be a problem. The Toyo film holders are good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have a Calumet Monorail, which I'm not using.

If Mick's is too hard to get, give me a PM and we can work something out, I got a heap of film holders and some film as well...

4x5 is just too small for my liking, saving up for 8x10 goodness

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey Toma,
    The toyo that Ross showed isn't a bad starter. The locking mechanism on the rail is not that great.
    The Toyo film holders are great. Probably the best available (as far as plastic film holders go). Well worth the money.
    Do you have any lenses?
    If you're still after a monorail then email me: enrico@pointlightworkshops.com.au

(btw, g'day Ross!)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I only use monorails and don't regret it. I have a Sinar F2 which I bought off ebay and is in perfect condition. Then i bought the P2 from ebay again in great condition. I have bought lots of accessories of ebay over the last fifteen years including a 8X10 conversion kit that appears to have been never used. I now notice the prices are going up. The beauty of Sinar is that it is all perfectly modular. I can used the widest lens to the longest lens in existence - I can shoot any format if I wish.

I post two shots. There is one thing that Sinar will not do. Even the F2 is not easily put in a backpack for great landscape locations (although others claim otherwise). So i bought another monorail camera the Toho - which is perfect for backpacking. All my lenses from 80mm to 450mm are in Toho lens boards. I had Grimes in the States make me a Toho to Sinar lens conversion board. Now I can shoot anything I like. It all sounds like I have spent a lot of money, but over the years not very much - it is all second hand (except the Toho).

I post two shots. Anzac Bridge was taken with a 47mm lens and it would be impossible to get this shot with anything but the widest lens. Lavender Bay was taken with a 80mm lens and Fuji velvia 50ASA film. It shows why Velvia was the iconic film for decades.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AL56 Lavender Bay.jpg   AL463 Anzac Bridge.jpg  
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin