Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,864   Online: 886

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you've got a really cool website, but any chance of getting some developing gear in stock? paterson tanks, HC-110, all the other cool stuff no-one else wants to import into Aus (or sell at a reasonable price)? Or is that a bit too far removed from your typical lo-fi user target market?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback postalman! I totally understand what you're saying however we currently don't have any warehousing type capacities to support expanding that much further into the full on film development market.

It's not out of the question down the track however as we may expand later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Disappointed with the lack of Australian suppliers in film photography, lofico was established in late 2010 with an aim to make an impact in this scene."

You bet I'm very, very disappointed in Australian retailers! To the point where I no longer shop with my feet, but with my mouse.

A week or so back I suddenly found myself without a roll of ACROS 100 in 120 format in Melbourne. So detoured to Michaels Camera House in the city, and was horrified to be charged $13.95 for it — no kidding! Elsewhere a single roll is hovering around $11.00. Please tell me what is wrong here. And retailers whinge about the online buying revolution. Crocodile tears...

The front page of your website is a great wink in the right direction — everything up front where it's expected to be, rather than buried in tedious, cascading menu systems. I dips me lid.

My order being placed very shortly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's why Gerry Harvey and his followers just don't get it. Not only is the price difference way more than the 10% GST he is whingeing about, but 'bricks & mortar' stores often don't even stock what we want to buy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Harvey Norman's markup is 220% on average. But there's worse. Rip Curl is 770%. Billabong 700% — all this, on Chinese-made clothing that is produced for $1.70 per hour in wages. It's disgusting. Got to love the suckers who cannot help themselves falling over these big retailers in name only.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyoo View Post
    Thanks for the feedback postalman! I totally understand what you're saying however we currently don't have any warehousing type capacities to support expanding that much further into the full on film development market.

It's not out of the question down the track however as we may expand later.
    well, there are a few threads going around at the moment of "where can I buy x in Aus", and if x happens to be a developer it'll cost at least 200% more to ship than to buy, so I think you should start there. As a one-stop-shop for lofi photographers, you'd just need to stock some paterson tanks and an economical developer/fixer etc wouldn't you? start branching out later maybe. That's why I voted for hc-110 since noone else in the country has it, and only blanco negro has rodinal - if at all.

(I want me some hc-110! And a nice new paterson tank for less than $50 please!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Poisson: try $17 for a roll of 120 C-41 at our local lab, vs $5/roll including shipping from Freestyle (I usually get about 40 at a time) for the same stuff. Best deal I could get locally was $50 for a 5-pack - only twice the price it should have been.

As for developers, D-76 is not so badly overpriced here - once shipping is considered, it's maybe 20% cheaper to import. Perhaps lofico could do a little better but I suspect their market is largely non-technical types sending colour films to labs, so it's quite understandable to not stock dev gear. Those who want it can get it from eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What I want to know, is it the retailers or is it the manufacturers/importers/distributors? The globals want to play free market when it comes to making their products, but don't when it comes to sales

I know, a little off topic, but if Gerry Harvey ever goes bust, the only tears I will be shedding is for the floor staff who will find themselves unemployed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Poisson: try $17 for a roll of 120 C-41 at our local lab, vs $5/roll including shipping from Freestyle (I usually get about 40 at a time) for the same stuff. Best deal I could get locally was $50 for a 5-pack - only twice the price it should have been.

As for developers, D-76 is not so badly overpriced here - once shipping is considered, it's maybe 20% cheaper to import. Perhaps lofico could do a little better but I suspect their market is largely non-technical types sending colour films to labs, so it's quite understandable to not stock dev gear. Those who want it can get it from eBay.

I pay $9.40 for 120 E6 processing. C-41 is dirt cheap everywhere here averaging about $6.00.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think it's both retailers (like Harvey's) and the distributors. Basically, everyone takes as big a cut as they think they can get away with.

For computer/furniture/etc gear, GH is big enough to do its own importing so directly takes advantage of the lower overseas prices and keeps all the markup for themselves as they're vertically integrated. GH's whingeing about globalisation particularly sticks in my craw since they're the ones doing the importing and making the best of a global market; they just want to keep those margins for themselves instead of letting the consumer see the savings.

For analogue photo, no photo store seems to be large enough to do big imports. So we have the likes of CR Kennedy that ship stuff in by the containerload and sell to small retail shops at stupidly high prices. I asked L&P about colour-chem pricing a couple of times and their input costs from the distributor are higher than what I would pay from Ag including courier fees. So in that case, it's the distributor gouging. They claim there's no market for that stuff and I don't doubt the market is small, but with pricing like that it's hardly surprising they can't sell anything!

Poisson: that was film cost I was quoting! Yes, $17/roll just for blank film and up to $25 for Velvia in some stores. For development in ADL, C-41 is $6.50-$9.50 and E-6 is $9.50-$12.50 (120).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin