Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,378   Online: 1179

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The local camera shop here in Richmond, Va was charging a little over $7.00 for B&W 120 and I was complaining about that, seeing some of these other prices, I don't feel so bad.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    absolutely agree with all the comments here! Our experiences so far within the short 5-6 months we've had since we've started this business makes this issue even more evident to us.

For one.. Australian "distributors" hardly ever really do much "distribution" but look to protection of their markets and profits above everything else. It's great for the suppliers/distributors, but tragic for the consumers since they are practically left with no local choices.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions and comments As I said it's not out of the question for us to stock some darkroom stuff. Stock selection is a particular problem for us though as once we start stocking one thing we don't have to capacity to stock more and more variations

Always open to suggestions though.. what kind of darkroom things would you guys like to see the most available in Australia (at competitive prices)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed there is an $8.40 / variable postage cost. Do you have any pick up point?
    I'd be happier paying for an Express Post 500g sachel...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    We can't do pick up unfortunately. The postage calculation is something hard to get right, and unfortunately our shopping cart system isn't very versatile as it's product based, and not weight based for calculations. If you wish to express post, just leave a message on check out via Paypal and we can express post it instead of registered post.
    Alternatively you can contact us directly: lofico.au@gmail.com and we can give you a quote with exact shipping

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's terrific — the "Wired Marker" in Firefox, I mean!
    Highlight text, reference it and fly back to it just by poking at the menu. Marvellous.

Yes, Express Post is ideal. Registered Post puts a whole new spin on "SnailMail" and is definitely no-go. Just waiting for the ideal moment to pounce on the Family Trust Fund...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyoo View Post
    Always open to suggestions though.. what kind of darkroom things would you guys like to see the most available in Australia (at competitive prices)?
    That's your typical question-with-a-thousand-answers for APUG because everyone uses something different and thinks they have The One True Way. However, my guess is that you should sell:
    - D76 (most basic and cheapest do-everything developer, been around forever and very hard to beat)
    - Rodinal (huge unfulfilled demand for that in AU right now, see the various whinge threads on APUG; Vanbar have been backordered for months)
    - maybe HC-110 or LC-29 (both are liquid and easy for beginners, you only need to stock one of them as they're so similar)
    - maybe XTOL
    - Rapid Fixer; brand is irrelevant as long as it's ammonium thiosulphate
    - Photoflo

In terms of tools, I would suggest that you be minimal and carry only:
    - Paterson System 4 tanks, probably just the 2x135/1x120 tank with spirals,
    - dark bags
    Nothing else is worth competing for because people can buy a $2 thermometer off eBay and a $2 measuring jug from KMart, etc.

If I were you and planning on stocking ANY equipment, I suggest an "all in one stuff you need to do film development" kit aimed at lofi (if that's really your market and not us APUG nerds) people looking to move into their own B&W. It'd need a tank+spirals, dark bag, thermometer, 500mL plastic kitchen jug, D76 or LC-29 (plus a 10mL syringe if supplying LC-29, make sure it's one that fits through the neck of the LC-29 bottle), rapid fixer and photoflo. And some good, simple written instructions - you'd be surprised how incompetent people are at looking this stuff up.

Of course, people can buy dev equipment off eBay too, so I wouldn't bother stocking any equipment for development at all, just some consumables. Likewise I wouldn't go into selling darkroom/printing stuff like paper either; in my imagination at least, people who do wet printing make big overseas orders every 6-12mo and only buy local if they need something TODAY, in which case your store will miss out anyway since it has no shopfront. Paper is also really heavy+bulky.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    stuff
    damnit polyglot! You beat me.

The people who are into lofi are likely the people who would like to experiment with their own b&w developing, so I really do think a paterson universal tank (maybe 2 sizes) and basic chemistry would sell. They are already available in Aus for around the $50 mark from b&m stores like foto riesel, b&h charge $20+$45s/h so you'd have to get your price point down near us prices + shipping. Hell, maybe you could even sell a "starter kit" for developing - tank, bag, chemistry and some $2 measuring cylinders?

LC-29 is available from vanbar for a fair chunk of cash, so maybe there's an opening there, but you'd have a monopoly on hc-110 in Aus since it costs $55+ delivered from the us.

Foto riesel want $42 for a film change bag which is also rather ridiculous, so you'd need to match ebay which may be challenging.

Speaking from experience (ironically), I'm just trying to get started into film and I've had a camera sitting on my desk for a month now waiting for things to ship from ebay, us, and refusing to pay $50+ for a paterson tank. I'm your target market for this stuff, I want to give you my money! Please let me give you my money!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At your lofico site you state

Rollei is a German manufacturer of cameras and specialty films founded in 1920. They are the makers of wonderful classic cameras like the Rolleiflex Twin Lens Reflex cameras and the Rollei 35 compact film cameras. We love their film range with impressive films like the Rollei Creative Edition Crossbird, Nightbird, and Redbird and of course their black and white films like the Retro, Pan and Ortho film range.
    Keep in mind that the company marketing/manufacturing these films has nothing whatsoever to do with Rollei, the manufacturer of those wellknown cameras. They just bought the licence to use the Rollei brand from the current owner of that brand which is not even that camera manufacturer.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin