Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,481   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

New online film & analog camera shop

Hi there

I've started an online analogue camera & film shop with a friend, launched Dec 2010. Our target market is Lomography but our broader vision is to "keep film alive". I'm hesitant to post as I realise Lomography is frowned upon amongst many photographers as it's generalised that it's a marketing campaign to suck in young people into purchasing overpriced cameras - but my view is that I think it's a great thing as it's a catalyst to spark peoples interest into film.

Anyway the reason for my posting is because we are looking to expand our supply of films, at this stage it is purely limited to 135 and 120.

Seeing as there is so many choices available for us even when limited to just 135 and 120, I wanted to get some opinions as to what you guys currently use the most from these two film types. We will be doing both color and b&w. Look forward to your responses!
    Last edited by vcyoo; 01-30-2011 at 11:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi vcyoo - where is your online camera shop (web address?)

Currently, I'm a Plus-X user in 135 &120 (probably FP4+ shortly due to it's much-heralded demise), Ektar 100 in 135, 120 & 4x5", TXP320 in 4x5"...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    35mm
    Heyo! Thanks for your reply
    The website is at : http://www.lofico.com.au
    Not sure if violating any guidelines there, admin please remove if so.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vcyoo View Post
    Hi there

... I'm hesitant to post as I realise Lomography is frowned upon amongst many photographers as it's generalised that it's a marketing campaign to suck in young people into purchasing overpriced cameras - but my view is that I think it's a great thing as it's a catalyst to spark peoples interest into film....
    I think you are totally right. Film is fun, or should be.

I shoot Tri-X the most, in both 120 and 35mm. I also love(d) the Fuji black and white films, though only Acros seems to be left. Ilford FP4+ is great in both 120 and 35mm.

Good luck with your store.

-Laura

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Laura, thanks, I totally agree with you If not for things like Lomography, then I do believe Film would be a slowly dying art. It may be a thing of the past for most photographers, but to the newer and younger generations it's a totally new concept.

I guess I should also be asking in regards to what type of pricing you would expect before considering purchasing locally. Our current measure stick is to beat anything we stock in comparison to Vanbar's pricing but I'm not sure if that's enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For "lomography" I generally use film that is cheap first and foremost. I'd never buy brand new film for this sort of photography. I would just sell expired film for cheap, like Ultrafine does.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi 2F/2F! While I agree with you that beginners should definitely stick to cheap film to get started, I'm hoping to expand our range of film supplies to cover the general 135 and 120 market as well (and beyond that eventually). Also there are lomographers out there who are experienced photographers as well who have been asking for a wider selection of films

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I would just sell expired film for cheap, like Ultrafine does.
    i LOVE that business model !

i ONLY buy expired film and paper

welcome vcyoo !

best of luck with your business

- john

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi John

TBH I have no idea where to even start looking to purchase unmarked up expired film!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There seem to be quite a few of those Rollei boxes floating around in Vanbar and Michaels at the moment. I've shot some of the Rollei R3 and got good results. I use Ilford FP4 mostly, but am thinking of something cheaper for sheet film in the near future.

John.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin