Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,017   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Life and Lens of a plastic Princess

Let's see how the art movement puts the Diana and lomography to creative use.
    A quirky exhibition made up from the cute little plastic fantastic is coming to Melbourne on 25th February.

This item in The Age is entertaining reading, reciting the background of lomography and its counter-culture that started in Prague in 1991.

The Diana World Tour arrives at No Vacancy Gallery, 34-40 Jane Bell Lane, Melbourne city on February 25 until March 11. Workshops will be held at the gallery on February 26 and March 5. The Customised Clones eBay auction ends on March 31.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read it in the Age as well, could be an interesting exhibition, I will be endeavouring to see it.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like something to try and venture the family along to, Laura loves Dianas.

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Plastic cameras were discovered by the art world with the original Dianas back in the 70s. Lomography did not start this. There's a gallery in New York that has had a "Crappy Camera Show" since those early days.

My grandpa's mailbox, shot with an original Diana from the 1970s back in 1997
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lomography is a brand, and I do wish they'd stop trying to say it's a movement. It's just pictorialism for another generation. That said, I still dig it, and I like how much film they're all buying - and I'd pop in to see this if I was on that side of the country, for sure.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No need to engage in semantics, just go to the exhibition. It's film-based remember?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Semantics or not - my biggest "problem" is, that there's a world of difference between the original Diana images and the Holga's, called Diana+...

But filmbased photography is allways worth to see...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Plastic cameras were discovered by the art world with the original Dianas back in the 70s.
    Ha! I got my first Krappy Kam in 1960 - http://junkstorecameras.com/EmpireBaby.htm - even at the age of 7 3/4's I was très artiste.

If I remember the story, a photography instructor at some university was getting royally PO'ed at his students for being gear-obsessed and went out and bought a few grocery store bags of Dianas, handed them out to the class and told them they could put their Nikannontaxes away for the rest of the semester.

So now students compete on who's camera is the crapiest. My niece went out and spent $100 on a Diana clone at Keeble & Suchat this semester. Rudolph and Kingslake wept. So did I, I would gladly have sold her a genuine vintage Diana for $250.

It is probably a good thing it was a clone. Vintage Dianas are made of such bad plastic that it literally crumbles in one's hands.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 02-22-2011 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I entered the Krappy Kamera show this year - but apparently my shots were not Krappy enough. I'm definitely looking forward to heading over there and seeing the photos that out Krapped mine...

Shooter
    35mm
    One of my first film cameras I brought was a Diana F+...and I loved it, it's what got me in to film photography.
    The next step was a Canon AE1-P, and even recently a Kiev 4...

I understand the...annoyance? at the lomo brand, but I don't think it's an entirely bad thing...I showed my mum my Diana F+ and she laughed, and remembered when she had one as a kid.

Since moving on from it, it now sits proudly on my wall unit, as a cool looking camera (it glows in the dark!)

I'll drop by the exhibition. It's nice to see the lomo tour hit Australia.
    Last edited by lapzod; 02-23-2011 at 01:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin