Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,406   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just lodged an order with Freestyle...

It's the start of the semester and me and my friends are starting new projects, either for Honours or for our own personal work. Between me and 4 other people we lodged an order with Freestyle for $960 of film, paper, chems and equipment...it should be here by the end of the week. A lot of Ilford HP5+ and Fuji colour neg and slide. From 35mm bulk rolls to medium format and 4x5", and a few hundred sheets of paper.

Now, someone please tell me this wasn't a ridiculous idea...it's going by FedEx, so it should be like Christmas by the end of the week.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a great idea - I do that every year to stock up the fridge...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had my orders shipped Fed-X ground. From LA to Northern California is about a couple of days. Never been disappointed by Freestyle. Great company!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    The only realy thing I'd be a wincy bit concerned about is GST. I've heard customs can add shipping costs to the total... Maybe it's just an old-wives tale.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Basically, they take the value of the items and include the shipping cost to determine whether it exceeds the $1000 GST threshold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    The only realy thing I'd be a wincy bit concerned about is GST. I've heard customs can add shipping costs to the total... Maybe it's just an old-wives tale.
    Not an old wives tale - it's true. If goods + shipping cost exceeds AUD1,000 you risk getting hit for GST on the lot. We recently did a group order to Freestyle from APUG Oz members and we opted to take the prudent path of splitting the order into three different orderers/receivers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think GST is such a big deal anyway, considering the overall savings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Gerry Harvey thinks its a big deal

But we as consumers know the real deal. I wonder if any of the local distributors and suppliers read such threads as this (I know some of the shops in the US do, especially if you have something bad to say about them). I wonder if they realise that they seriously need to look at how they do business in this country. I am in the same boat at the moment, between 3 of us, we have a small order from Adorama (film and camera hardware - much easier to stick with one supplier)....hopefully christmas will come for me by the end of the next week!

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    NO, 100 dollars isn't that much. BUT:
    Customs can hold the package for a pretty long time if they so choose. It would be mightily frustrating having all that film stuck at the airport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The total price including postage finally worked out to $950-ish dollars AUD, so we just miss the GST hit.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin