Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,260   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Moving to Queensland - what can I bring in?

Hi there everyone,
    If all goes to plan - flat sale nearing completion, visa applied for etc - I should be on my way to Queensland in a couple of months. The plan is to settle for at least a good while (my wife is Australian) and I am of course bringing my photo gear with me.
    My question is with photo materials. I am bringing a small supply to keep me going for the first year or so - ADOX MCC paper, Foma Nature 532 and a bit of the new Fomalux contact paper (which I have yet to try but I just know it's gonna be great).
    I am wondering though whether I can bring in Ilford Warmtone Developer and Moersch EasyLith Developer. I've looked all over the govt. sites and can't seem to find a precise answer. The shipping co. says it is hit and miss with liquids but powders are ok (I am bringing some metol and a few bits I don't want to throw).
    Does anyone know or have experience of bringing in these sorts of things?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would contact customs (http://www.customs.gov.au/) with your questions, and even the transport company your using to ship gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't help with your question, but you will right at home in Qld at the moment, never stops raining! Welcome to OZ though, great place to live and to shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The shipping co says it'll be ok for powders but don't know about liquids. I've been through the AU customs site and searched their materials database but can't find anything relating to photographic chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Can't help with your question, but you will right at home in Qld at the moment, never stops raining! Welcome to OZ though, great place to live and to shoot.
    Thanks Tony, I'm not there yet but hopefully there'll be a bit of sun by the time I arrive!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Shane is pretty right. Queensland importation is going to be the same as for the rest of the country anyway. Unbroken sealed containers clearly labelled by the manufacturers and clear documentation and descriptions of the chemical nature of the contents will probably be required. Probably there is a unit size limit as well.
    Anything which has been opened will be treated with a certain amount of suspicion unless you can prove what it is. Difficult.
    Personal effects up to a certain value are permitted and others of a specified household nature also, before import duty (probably at 10% GST rate) is applied.
    I agree you should approach the Customs people with a list of what and how much of it you wish to import. They should be able to give you a pretty clear answer - better than the shipping company, I suspect. Better to email or even phone them - searching Government websites for information is bound to bring on frustration and little enlightenment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Water wings and a snorkel!

Another 200mm of rain somewhere in QLD today in an 8 hour period, heard it on the wireless in the ute.

Seriously though, ensure that you can store your gear in a dry area, humidity this year is unbelievable, literally dripping from ceilings and running down walls in some places somewhere.

Apart from Ilford products, and then only a reasonably small range, you will find it sort of hard to get many of the papers you can get easily in the UK. Bring whatever you can carry, you won't regret it.

Bringing in powder solutions in their original sealed packaging is usually acceptable, or was last year when I went to Germany and took some film developer with me.

Bringing in liquid stuff could be problematic, not necessarily from this end, but from your end and wherever you touchdown halfway here.

I myself have Ilford's warmtone developer because I wished to try it, but I went back to mixing my own warmtone paper developer, cheaper and I mix up what I need only.

By the way, I'm not kidding about the humidity, it is a real problem in some places and some houses.

Welcome to Australia, marrying a skippy must be interesting, my missus married a skippy and reckoned it was a steep learning curve!

Mick.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Check and see, your main "heavy stuff" will no doubt come in a box "container" if so you shouldn't have many dramas as long as the manifest states what is inside and you have current M.S.D.S. for the products, I would wrap them to protect your other items. I have purchased items, liquid and powder and had them airmailed to me no problems. Surface is less of a hassle if your paperwork is in order.
    Hope this helps
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure where in Qld you will be, but when I left Brisbane in 2003 the Photo Continental store in Mount Gravatt sitll had a modest collection Ilford supplies on offer, and there were other optiions closer to the City Centre.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    Can't help with your question, but you will right at home in Qld at the moment, never stops raining!
    Yes, but it is warm rain, not that cold English (or Victorian) stuff

Mick is right about the humidity though. Mould growing everywhere this summer. I bought a small electric dry cabinet a few years ago, which seems to be doing a great job of keeping my lenses happy.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin