Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,590   Online: 914

Shooter
    35mm

Incorrectly developed b/w film

I sent a Fuji Neopan 1600 b/w film to be developed and high resolution scanned to Fotofast and it came back over exposed.

I looked at the job sheet and it had brand unknown and film speed 125.
    When I questioned them they said that this info is automatically scanned from the film barcode.

Can anyone verify this or was there something wrong with the film packaging or is the developer telling me fibs. I cannot do anything about it as they send them out to a third party and don't have the film canisters to verify anything.

I will ensure that in the future I spell out what ISO the film was exposed even though they said unless told otherwise the nominated film speed on the canister is assumed to be the exposed speed which was my case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lab fustercluck, they can blame the DX reader but unknown 125 sounds odd for a default ISO. I don't know why they wouldn't use manual override for an unknown film as different 125 films probably require different times anyways.

These days for film processing the old adage about doing it yourself if you want a job done right is sadly true. It is so easy to develop film yourself, you really should give it a try. No darkroom required!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    You are right but unfortunately I have very little use of one hand so I have to rely on others for the processing- thanks for your reply

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sorry to hear your troubles, it stinks when
    a lab you trust messes up, doens't it ?
    i was taking my film to a pro lab in boston for 6 months before i
    trusted them for job-work and i got the chromes back and
    they were scorched. they just gave me shrugged shoulders ...

if you can load your film onto a reel, and get a dipper
    make yourself up some farmers reducer and bleach and fix
    the density away. once you get it think enough to see what is
    on the film, you can get a light box and magnifier and a paint brush
    ( and water ) and finish the job

might be kind of fun !

good luck !
    john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMB3884 View Post
    I sent a Fuji Neopan 1600 b/w film to be developed and high resolution scanned to Fotofast and it came back over exposed.

I looked at the job sheet and it had brand unknown and film speed 125.
    When I questioned them they said that this info is automatically scanned from the film barcode.

Can anyone verify this or was there something wrong with the film packaging or is the developer telling me fibs. I cannot do anything about it as they send them out to a third party and don't have the film canisters to verify anything.

I will ensure that in the future I spell out what ISO the film was exposed even though they said unless told otherwise the nominated film speed on the canister is assumed to be the exposed speed which was my case.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had a look at their website and product/price list. At first glance it all looks very impressive but then you start to see it's all set up for high volume and minimum personal attention.
    I'd guess there's nothing at all wrong with the film packaging, and their "scan" of the film isn't really to verify film type and speed unless it happens to be one of their colour volume lines and it is in their database. The scan they made was simply to create a job sheet in the shop and the 'default' if there's no data to draw on is "Unknown/125". No personal attention or the person doing the scanning was ignorant of what they were handling.
    Second, they sent it out to a third party accompanied by this job sheet. We don't know who they are or how competent they are. Could be a back room filled with monkeys. Could be some poor guy who is given a standard list of processes to follow which include "Unknown/125". Could be someone like me who, as a hobbyist, develops B&W film for the local camera shop guy because he can't find a lab that will do it at less than an outrageous price. I give him back the film and he scans and/or prints it, (although I really don't like the sort of prints his colour line produces from B&W negatives).

In summary, you lost control over it when you sent it to them, and they lost control over it when they sent it on and now nobody wants to take responsibility for a procedural and processing stuff-up.

As you can't develop your own, ask around and try to find someone in or near Brisbane who can do it for you. I'd try Kayell (07 3426 8200) and the Cameraholics Fair on May 22nd (07 3816 0341) to start with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    and their "scan" of the film isn't really to verify film type and speed unless it happens to be one of their colour volume lines
    Doesn't matter for colour as C41 and E6 are standard processes regardless of the film's type, make and speed.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for. I forgot to mention I am in Sydney so I will try Vision Image lab as they process everything in house.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin