Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,175   Online: 992

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll have to pass on this one

With this weekend and then a trip away at Easter I will have used all my leave passes without 3&5 year olds for quite a while...
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    Ok whats this meet up next saturday ? did I miss something or was kept out of the loop ?
    Look at this thread, Marc.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum49/8...ml#post1161077

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Howdy all,

Well, this little Adelaidian went to the exhibition at the Bendigo Art Gallery. I have to say, I would recommend! It was a bit of a last minute thing, as we did it en-route to Sydney (I know, long way around....I had to do a trade off and do Sovereign Hill in Ballaratt the day before).

In all, I probably spent an hour at the exhibition. I could have spent longer, but time was of the essence. There were many highlights and surprises (for instance, "The Powerhouse Mechanic" is a lot smaller then I expected) and possibly one or two disappointments. In all, though, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ripper! I'm looking forward to it...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Went and saw the exhibition today - was a bit hard with two kids in tow, but well worth the trip.

Has a great selection of famous prints from the masters. Good to finally see an Avedon/Adams/etc up close.

Some good cafes opposite the gallery, a photogenic park around the corner and recommend detour via Kyneton or Maldon on the way home.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well we took the camper up on the back of the ute and stayed in a caravan park, mainly for power, to power the heater!

We didn't see anyone from apug, but met up with some friends who made the trip especially to see the exhibition.

I was a bit under whelmed overall. There were some really good prints, and, some quite ordinary prints, including some prints from people that were either showing their age, or they seemed to be printed before their technique started to get better.

Having seen some Ansel Adams prints in the flesh before, the ones at this show were rather ordinary, perhaps when he printed them in the 30's, which if I remember correctly they were done around then, he wasn't too flash.

Some of the colour work seemed to be nothing more than a record of buildings and scenes.

At the post mortem, all five of us agreed that it did seem to be not quite what we thought it would be.

The Avedon print of Nastassia Kinski with Serpent was mind blowing, as were the two prints from Mapplethorpe, Dorothea Lange's prints were great, including her signature print. Bourke-White had some good stuff, as did Arbus and seeing a Weegee print in the flesh was interesting.

There were other photographers with good work displayed, but there wasn't a wow factor for any of us, although we agreed it was worth the trip.

One interesting bit was getting a discount for a group entry, two dollars off is two dollars off

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No wonder you didn't see anyone from APUG, Mick. No firm date was ever set AFAIK.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    We went there last weekend as well. We visited the exhibition Saturday afternoon, stayed over night in Bendigo and visited Maldon, Kyneton and some other villages on Sunday. Mick, it's a pity we did not meet. Overall, I share your impression. Still, we did not regret our visit. Adams' Winter Storm, Lange's Migrant Mother, Weston's Nude, and Avedon's Nastassja Kinski were certainly impressive. Marc, thanks a lot for pointing out the exhibition. Raoul, thanks a lot for recomending Maldon and Kyneton. These were the real highlights of our trip. Unfortunately, the batteries of my P67 gave up after my first shot :-( So I need to go back to Maldon some day. Joachim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In post 8 of this thread Marc suggested the 4th of June, this worked with our plans so we went up on Saturday. We decided at the last minute to see the exhibition on Sunday due to friends notifying us of their intention to come up on Sunday.

We didn't expect to see anyone from apug as we visited on Sunday and we assumed Saturday was the day. Actually spent some time taking piccies in the daytime and playing scrabble well into the evening, I lost.

Joachim, yep a pity it would have been quite nice to perhaps have an evening meal together somewhere.

Mick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting point Mick as my brother said exactly the same. He admitted he was spoilt by seeing the Eastman display in Rochester. I have been laid up with the flu so my appearance was a no show.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin