Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    However, there's more, free and in Sydney:

http://sydney.edu.au/sydney_ideas/le...crewdson.shtml
    Thanks for the tip Ross - unfortunately I'll be out of town on the 15th.
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    The argument (that I'm not sure he's made) of resolution in 8x10" is wasted in stacking focus and post compositing - why not shoot smaller format digital ?
    From my standpoint, why use light rays. Ray tracing software will eventually accomplish all that he does and more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ask him what his favorite image is ( his or not his ) and why
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ask him whether he's a director of photography, an art director, a lighting designer or a photographer. His work ends up being confused if you ask me. I agree with Tony; I waver between enjoying the scale and the effort involved in creating a single image, and then being completely put off by the over-worked result. He's kind of like Cindy Sherman except with less cultural weight behind him.

John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Crewdson's latest work, shot last year, in an abandoned film lot in Rome, was shot using a phase one p65 back on a 4x5 field camera.

All of his modern work, including the 8x10 stuff, is all inkjet prints.

He currently has an exhibition on in Stockholm. I just happen to be in Sweden on my honeymoon, and found the exhibit yesterday

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jford View Post
    Ask him whether he's a director of photography, an art director, a lighting designer or a photographer. His work ends up being confused if you ask me. I agree with Tony; I waver between enjoying the scale and the effort involved in creating a single image, and then being completely put off by the over-worked result. He's kind of like Cindy Sherman except with less cultural weight behind him.

John.
    He is described on various high art web sites as a ("more or less" in one case) conceptual photographer. Conceptual art broadly viewed does engender disagreements among viewers, especially when it involves a crew of assistants butchering cows and sharks.

One show description did raise my interest, I always wanted to order folk around like this:

"Gregory Crewdson's new series of staged photographs, "Twilight" (1998-99, all Untitled), shows a suburbia run amok. People who can't take the subway to work grow obsessed with the underground, tunneling holes in their living rooms or digging gardens there. Or else they look up at the sky, from whence falls light--whether from the local traffic copter or from a tuneful spaceship out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, we are not told. Look out your window in Crewdson's Lot and you'll see your pregnant neighbor alone in the street, stripped to her undies to take the cool evening air on her skin. Peek into a garage and you might find a woman building a pyre of flowers higher …"

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Conceptual artist"? Give me a break. In his wildest dreams. He's more like art photography's Thomas Kinkade what with all that phoney and maudlin pathos. This guy's a chooch. And if the photographs don't make that painfully clear then just ask some of his former assistants.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    [...]

One show description did raise my interest, I always wanted to order folk around like this:

"Gregory Crewdson's new series of staged photographs, "Twilight" (1998-99, all Untitled), shows a suburbia run amok. People who can't take the subway to work grow obsessed with the underground, tunneling holes in their living rooms or digging gardens there. Or else they look up at the sky, from whence falls light--whether from the local traffic copter or from a tuneful spaceship out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind, we are not told. Look out your window in Crewdson's Lot and you'll see your pregnant neighbor alone in the street, stripped to her undies to take the cool evening air on her skin. Peek into a garage and you might find a woman building a pyre of flowers higher …"

Where is the concept in that, or more pointedly, what is he dreaming about? It's more akin to derangement than focused, visualised conceptualisation. Unhinged.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not seeking to defend Mr Crewdson's oeuvre, but it seems to me to be an extreme example of the practice of constructing the subject of the photograph in ideal conditions approach as opposed to observe the subject and make the best of the conditions in which it is found. Sometimes when Sydney throws up an extended period of lousy light I have a crack at still life and take some care with subject arrangements--wouldn't you?

Mr Crewdson's images may be ultimately banal, but they are easier to grasp--conceptually--than Damien Hirst's assistants' work with skulls, sharks and cows.

If nothing else a purchaser of a Crewdson print may be able to see why the damn thing cost so much; there's a TV series running on SBS about big moves, usually of buildings, which offers insight into the cost of closing down a street and urban facilities to do this sort of exercise, maybe they could do a series called "Monster Pictures"

(what's a "chooch"? I could use that word)

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    "Conceptual artist"? Give me a break. In his wildest dreams. He's more like art photography's Thomas Kinkade what with all that phoney and maudlin pathos. This guy's a chooch. And if the photographs don't make that painfully clear then just ask some of his former assistants.
    a chooch ??

at least he is doing interesting work, much more interesting than
    finding someone elses' tripod holes ..
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin