Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,632   Online: 987

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=(what's a "chooch"? I could use that word)

Regards - Ross[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if Frotog meant what I think he meant, but his use of the word chooch was very interesting to me too. In my experience, "chooch" comes for the Italian dialectical slang word "ciuccio" for donkey or mule, which is usually used to refer to someone as an idiot. It's altogether possible that Frotog simply meant "kook".

As for Crewdson, his stuff is a bit too plasticky for me, but I do find the sheer scale of preparation required for his constructs to be interesting.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    He is doing a public lecture in Adelaide on Tuesday as well. I was going to attend, but it's a work day and all that (plus something doesn't sit right having to pay $20 to hear someone speak, unless its for charity).

Love his work or hate it, it's out there and it's vastly different. I have no idea what I would ask him....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think his work is truly interesting. From a more technical end I wonder why he seems to never use depth of field (everything is always in focus) or why he tends to put his subjects smack dab in the middle -- I have my own ideas, but like to hear it from him. FWIW To call him kinkaid is laughable, to say he might be too deliberate, lacks nuance might be true, but I think that the deliberateness is part of what he is saying. One other thing about his work is the packaging/presentation. I would think that it would be a natural to present it as discarded snaps, postcards, clippings from a home and garden mag -- common mundane source/presentation -- more than 40"x60"s. Is the size a market thing or a message? Everything I have seen on display is huge -- which to me takes away from the message.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    ask him what his favorite image is ( his or not his ) and why
    I would be willing to bet the why comes first. 'I don't really have one' or some such. And after a couple minutes explaining the why he will either relent and throw one out there or say something cerebral like 'The one I have not yet made'.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Considering that Greg is primarily a populist, that he can't help from photographing his tableaux in magic hour (stupid hour as my landscape friends sometimes call it) and that he seems to have a penchant for "enchanting" narratives (yes, I know, he's reaching for the uncanny but in the end he's more like Spielberg than Kronenberg or Lynch) I don't think the comparison to the painter of light is all that ridiculous. If you choose to believe his spiel you might believe his primary influences to be Spielberg, Norman Rockwell, Kubrick (center weighted compositions), O Winston Link, Edward Hopper and Robert Adams (sharp focus all the way across the frame). Of all those he comes closest to Spielberg. He'd be lucky to approach the zeitgeist the way Rockwell did. He doesn't stand a ghost of a chance in approaching the subtlety and depth of the others. Ultimately, it's a lot easier to control your "influences" than the most apt comparisons. And all things considered, I think, for better or worse, he's the high art world's version of Kinkade.

"At least he is doing interesting work, a lot more interesting than finding someone else's tripod holes"

Perhaps. However, your counter example evokes the ultimate shortcoming with Crewdson as a photographer (not as a art world maven) - he has no respect for Reality. "Finding someone else's tripod holes" reminds me of Mark Klett and co. work with the rephotographic project - a project that to my eye is far more conceptually interesting than anything Crewdson has done. Despite the fact that Klett lacks the hubris to describe this work as "uncanny" it strikes me as being far stranger than the tight-assed, overly aestheticized, highly derivative vision of this chooch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ahhh i getit, he's a sell out ?

i am not talking about mark klett ..
    but the folks who never do anything
    other than photograph the same things/style
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-10-2011 at 07:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    He is doing a public lecture in Adelaide on Tuesday as well. I was going to attend, but it's a work day and all that (plus something doesn't sit right having to pay $20 to hear someone speak, unless its for charity).
    Ah but you don't have a US Studies Centre at Adelaide University as we do at University of Sydney (established during the reigns of Bush and Howard, but surprisingly benign) For us it's free.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I actually think that finding other people's tripod holes could be very instructive, if not in the mind and technique of whichever famous photographer you've chosen to follow around, at least in the lesson that photography is all about light, and that light changes. I've been enjoying this recently. Tripod holes is exactly the right thing to do, so long as you find out when to move on from tripod holes and find your own voice.

Back to Crewdson, I agree with 36cm2 above:
    As for Crewdson, his stuff is a bit too plasticky for me, but I do find the sheer scale of preparation required for his constructs to be interesting.
    Well put.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We actually got to meet him today and he's not pompous at all. Jet lagged, but very down to earth and interested in getting to know people and having a nice chat. Very approachable. And actually quite technically skilled - he spent a lot of years without a production crew just like the rest of us, and was more than capable of talking technique as well as concept.

I was a little sceptical, but it's been really an excellent experience so far - my portfolio review is on Thursday, the very last one.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a TV documentary about him a few years ago that detailed a couple of his quite elaborate and labor intensive shoots. It was very interesting, and I didn't think he came across as particularly pompous. He was, after all, directing a rather large production and seemed to be able to do it with conviction and competence, but not much in the way of bossiness or arrogance at all.

I'm always interested in "successful" photographers accounts of how they marketed their work and how they got "shown and known"! Ask him to tell that story...I'd love to hear it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin