Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,235   Online: 857

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone have questions for Gregory Crewdson?

I wound up in this thing.

Gregory Crewdson is running a Masterclass in Little ol' Adelaide for a week, and supposedly acting as an artist in residence at the South Australian School of Art for a few months. Me and some of my friends wound up getting accepted to attend and then got a Helpmann scholarship to fund it. It starts next monday - anyone have any ideas what we should ask him?
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Ask him why he's so pompous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who? Never heard of him.
    And a Masterclass of what in particular?
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Ask him if I can be a depressed housewife in one of his shoots!

I love his stuff as planned/worked as it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a conceptual masterclass rather than technical - as you'd hope, since he doesn't actually fire the shutter on his own camera. I assume the pompousness comes with selling work with that big of a price tag... Even if his work isn't really up my alley, it'll be interesting to have a chat and get some insight into how a major name in photography works. The masterclass itself is largely portfolio reviews and a lecture or two. It's $600+ for the privilege of hearing the guy talk (thus we're lucky we got the scholarship).
    He shoots 8x10" Colour (I forget if its neg or slide), and a selection of frames are digitally combined to reach the final finished piece.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like PDJ - I have to ask "Who is he??"
    Maybe I'm older than I thought I was. . . . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd like to know how he started out shooting because his way of photography is something that you need at least a few people to do, so how did he start?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When's he gonna spend all that time and money making a whole movie rather than one still?

I have one of his big expensive books and I seem to waver between really liking one image and being completely turned off by the next superficial and highly derivative construction. I'd turn up if it was free!!

p.s. congrats on being selected to attend. don't be too modest now!
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    When's he gonna spend all that time and money making a whole movie rather than one still?
    Couldn't agree more Tony. ABC TV runs the whole megillah doco from time to time, he seems a frustrated art director to me.

However, there's more, free and in Sydney:

http://sydney.edu.au/sydney_ideas/le...crewdson.shtml

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The argument (that I'm not sure he's made) of resolution in 8x10" is wasted in stacking focus and post compositing - why not shoot smaller format digital ?
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin