Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,281   Online: 809

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

State of Film chat session at Atkins

from today's spam from the local pro lab (Adelaide):

Open house Friday, May 27th

Date: Friday 27th of May 4-5.30pm.
    Topic: The State of Film

All are welcome to come in for a chat about the state of film, is it still an option? Can you get the look and feel of film using digital? Why is film use growing?

Tea and coffee and a biscuit or two will help ease you into the weekend. No cost, but bring your opinions!
    Might be of interest to some here, particularly their observation about film use growing. I will try to make it but it's in working hours and therefore quite difficult for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I saw that as well. I'll be looking at trying to get an early minute or ten on that date and going for a chat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is my unscientific observation of this trend of more film being shot.
    I think the 20 something kids with walking around money "hipsters" are rediscovering and possibly over-hypeing the analog fromats. Film, audio recordings, single speed bicylces, single malt liqure, Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I also think is is because the gee-whiz of the latest electronic stuff is getting stale. To show up to the PBR drink night with a TLR, gets the attention of the babes. Darkrooms are cool and sexy?

No flaming me on the "hipsters" they are what they are, and I am happy to see all kinds of people.

I predict film with hang on at present slightly elevated level for 23 months... then drop off over 19 months and then become an uber niche product... Kodak will be gone (film) before 2017. Fuji will hang on slightly longer. B+W films will stay around for quite awhile manufactured in Easter Europe.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I think the 20 something kids with walking around money "hipsters" are rediscovering and possibly over-hypeing the analog fromats. Film, audio recordings, single speed bicylces, single malt liqure, Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I also think is is because the gee-whiz of the latest electronic stuff is getting stale. To show up to the PBR drink night with a TLR, gets the attention of the babes. Darkrooms are cool and sexy?
    You forgot vinyl LPs, Converse All-Stars, and chinos. Seriously, this would be the first time in my life that I've even been remotely hip. I'm stoked.
    Last edited by kwall; 05-09-2011 at 10:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Stupid typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post

I predict film with hang on at present slightly elevated level for 23 months... then drop off over 19 months and then become an uber niche product... Kodak will be gone (film) before 2017. Fuji will hang on slightly longer. B+W films will stay around for quite awhile manufactured in Easter Europe.

B&W film?

I think Fuji will go first very soon. They already discontinued Neopan 1600, 400 was discontinued in medium. Kodak, will sadly be next (very sadly, since I think they have the best stuff - Tmax). Ilford maybe last.

When the demand as low as it is and dropping, what can we expect?
    The days when B&W was widely used by newspapers and fashion/wedding photogs are far behind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can bet your Caffenol that the anti-film brigade will be there to saddle up their hobbyhorses and make it clear that digital is superior. Yeah right. Another Dr. Christmas Jones story...

Good luck to the APUGgers over in Adelaide going along to keep balance in a potentially unbalanced discussion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You can bet your Caffenol that the anti-film brigade will be there to saddle up their hobbyhorses and make it clear that digital is superior. Yeah right. Another Dr. Christmas Jones story...

Good luck to the APUGgers over in Adelaide going along to keep balance in a potentially unbalanced discussion.
    What's this anti-film brigade I keep hearing about?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    Their name starts with K and ends with odak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I can loan you a hearing aid if you need it.
    You can find the guys constantly saddling up their hobbyhorses over at photo.net .
    The rest of them you might have the misfortune of bumping into when you're minding your own business beavering away in analogue but they are not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check any other photography forum but APUG.

My money's on Fujifilm calling it quits first. A lot of locals here don't have much confidence in them sticking around in the film business forever.

No one's mentioned Ilford yet - they'll be around for a while, won't they?
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin