Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,490   Posts: 1,542,941   Online: 874

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Laurent;1183209]I'd agree with you IF you could make sure the "new" one works. Of course, this depends on the value you give to your photographs, but if you are to discover later on that the camera failed on you, then you'll be fussing with gear when what you want is make a film image.

This was the reason why I got both my AE1-P and my Rolleiflex CLA'ed. For both I could have found a replacement for the price of the CLA, but I want my cameras to be reliable.[/QUOTE]

My only point was to suggest drawing a line between nostalgia and practicality. With so many good quality, inexpensive, late model 35mm cameras around, I can't see coddling a busted oldie--or replacing it with yet another relic--if you're really interested in shooting film, provided fondling old cameras isn't the priority.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sorry, I missed your point. I fully agree on this, but drawing the line isn't always easy.
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mick0x View Post
    ... So what do you do with a camera needing a repair that exceeds its value?
    I would have it repaired if it really means a lot to you. As stated below ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick
    The true value of your repaired camera is in its ability to bring you happiness via its use.
    It reminds me of a camera a friend gave me. He had dropped it, and it worked for a few months until it completely failed on me. I spent $230 to repair a camera I got for free, and even though everyone thought I was stupid, that camera has taken some of my favorite photos, and I have no regrets.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    yea the Retina is in 100% perfect shape cosmetically, the never ready case is even perfect, all original. Everything is spotless inside including lens. the shutter is will not fire though. It was my grandfathers so it has very high sentimental value. but they go for about $150 on Keh. I want to get it working but I probably would never really get use out of it, as I'd worry about it to much to bring it around. I only work part time with free lancing on the side, so most of my money goes into film, paper, and chems. I guess I'll bite the bullet after the next paycheck and do the Canon VT first and see how that goes and try to get a quote for the retina.
    Sorry don't know the web address, but google Chris's camera pages, he is an expert on Retina cameras in New Zealand, your shutter most likely needs a for service, and if you send it to Chris Sherlock he will check, and if needed replace the one weakness in the retina, that is the shutter cocking rack, for a reasonable price, and with that and using the camera gently, you should not have any more problems, if my personal experience of using Retina's is anything to go by, It could even be that the shutter cocking rack is worn out and not cocking the shutter properly, so take a look at Chris Sherlocks site, and send him an Email and see what he has to say,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just found out the Retina IIIc cocking rack is sold at micro tools for only $25... now if I only had the guts to rip it apart... It doesn't even look like too complicated a repair. I probably wont send it all the way to New Zealand, maybe to New Jersey.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all I'm convinced. It was the "ebay mentality" comment that got me.

I'm going to get it repaired for the certainty of having a camera that will work well into the future.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I just found out the Retina IIIc cocking rack is sold at micro tools for only $25... now if I only had the guts to rip it apart... It doesn't even look like too complicated a repair. I probably wont send it all the way to New Zealand, maybe to New Jersey.
    If you check on Chris Sherlock's site he gives you step by step instructions on how to fit a cocking rack
    Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin