Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,068   Online: 890

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    LJH

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tmh View Post
    I've just got a quote for shipping the Epson 3880 from the US, about A$350 via 3 day air. This one weighs in at about 56lbs.

With prices for the 3880 here in Oz at about the A$1850 level, and about US$1150 in the US, I'm not quite sure if this one is worth it once duty and GST are added. But for the Epson 4900 and upwards you will see a saving even with it being heavier.

I wonder if Epson AUS would service / repair it if needs be under warranty given that it would be US stock? Warranties obviously aren't an issue with film etc but with big expensive mechanical things like printers I'm a little more cautious...
    What about the voltage difference?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plugpacks (if they're not universal-voltage, which they often are so that the manufacturer needs to make only one type) are easily replaced with local versions of the correct voltage. Otherwise, high quality stepdown transformers are about $50-70 on eBay for up to 1kVA which is way more than a printer needs. Since all of these devices have a switching input supply, the 50/60Hz difference is irrelevant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are USA and AUS in same productregion as far as Epson are concerned.
    I know you can't use US or AU cartridges in my UK Epson R2880 as they are region coded and won't work. I am shipping my printer to Brisbane (where I am moving from UK) but have bought a CIS to solve the cartridge problem.
    Just something to consider, maybe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxBrownie View Post
    I know you can't use US or AU cartridges in my UK Epson R2880 as they are region coded and won't work. I am shipping my printer to Brisbane (where I am moving from UK) but have bought a CIS to solve the cartridge problem.
    That is just bogus by the manufacturers. It's like region coding DVD's. I'm sure the ink doesn't care if it's in Europe, the US or the Pacific. I'm glad they never did this with film!

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting about Epson printers. I have an Epson I brought from the US that works fine here with generic OfficeWorks ink cartridges. It's only issue is the 120 volt. In this global economy everything cars voltage should be the same. But this is how countries can impose barriers & different pricing. All my time traveling around I found prices averaged out. Some items cheaper in Oz some cheaper in the US. But in the US sales tax can very from city to state. Chicago Cook county has additional tax compared to DuPage county, then some cities add there cut.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    All my time traveling around I found prices averaged out. Some items cheaper in Oz some cheaper in the US.
    Just curious, could you give an example of an item which is cheaper here than in the US? Maybe Vegemite but otherwise?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found meat and fresh veg to be much better value for money in AU than US, at least in 2001 when the exchange rate was silly (AUD1=USD0.50). Now, maybe not.

tmh

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxBrownie View Post
    Wow, I never would have thought the ink cartridges would be region specific, I'll have to check that out too, thanks. I guess it's like PAL/NTSC. Surely they wouldn't make a specific region just for the small AUS market? Surely?!

Never had any issues with voltage on things brought in from the US or Europe, its always a case of just buy another travel plug adapter!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    With the AUD still being strong against the USD plus the great pricing from Freestyle and B&H, I'm almost tempted to buy a small fridge to keep in the garage and to fill it with a big order of film. I think the cost of the fridge would be more than offset by the savings in film prices!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cluttered View Post
    With the AUD still being strong against the USD plus the great pricing from Freestyle and B&H, I'm almost tempted to buy a small fridge to keep in the garage and to fill it with a big order of film. I think the cost of the fridge would be more than offset by the savings in film prices!
    Good idea! I find that my little bar fridge has plenty of room for a few hundred rolls/sheets of film in the top, and some bottles of cold dev, stop, fix and water in the bottom. (The cold chemicals are used for temperature control of my solutions in summer.) My wife used to get upset when this stuff lived in the kitchen fridge (although there might still be some boxes of sheet film hiding under the chops and fish fingers in the bottom of the freezer ).

Ian

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin