Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,027   Online: 705

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    It has to be clear to all of us on APUG by now that buying from the U.S. is by far the cheaper option for almost if not all markets outside of the U.S.

It has to be equally clear to Ilford as well. Maybe Ilford doesn't want to upset the distributors either. It may have simply warned them that re-importation to the U.K. or re-exportation to other markets will be the consequence. It might not affect Ilford's revenue. Well not enough for it to exercise its muscle.

Fair enough. We can only exercise our purchase muscle and maybe that will make the "guilty parties" whomsoever they may be, change their behaviour.

On the other hand APUGers may be only represent a slight irritation to the "guilty parties" and there will be no change in behaviour. Either way it seems clear that we can continue to do what we are doing with a clear conscience.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Velvia 50 - $27 here versus $6.95 B&H. How does that work? No wonder we are looking elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wow, once you add processing cost that becomes a very expensive photo.
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Walnut Grove, MN USA (Laura Ingall Wilder's home)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How much of the cost difference between USA and other countries is in duties, taxes, tarriffs, I wonder? Also, with our dollar so weak, (lets print print print...) everything is a bargain here right now, if you live outside the USA. Come visit, might not be a better time to do it.
    "We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one'. We forget that we have still to make a study of 'and'."
    -A. S. Eddington

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puptent View Post
    How much of the cost difference between USA and other countries is in duties, taxes, tarriffs, I wonder? Also, with our dollar so weak, (lets print print print...) everything is a bargain here right now, if you live outside the USA. Come visit, might not be a better time to do it.
    Australia, as far as I know, only charge GST, which is 10%. Yes, you do have to factor in shipping, but hey, so do we when we buy OS. I still remember my first purchase from the US. It was a Flash unit for a Sony DSLR about 4 years ago. The list price in Australia was over $600. The list price from B&H, once I had taken in conversions (back when the US $$ was worth 90 US Cents), it came in at around $350.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by puptent View Post

Cost differences depend on Customs processes and import-export tariffs in each country.

Travel-wise, the dollar mismatch with the USA is a boon. My plans for the US summer-autumn in 2012 are Utah — Bryce Canyon among other places. I am hoping the dollar goes higher — to around $1.12 by then. Lots of people are travelling from Australia-USA, but airlines are now pushing fares up with increased fuel surcharges (as if...). There's a limit to how much travellers will tolerate with these surcharges, but luckily aren't charged extra when an engine explodes...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ordering a roll of HP5 from the states to canada costs me give or take 3 - 5 dollars, getting it from my own country minimum 8 and up to 11 easy. this phenomenon is world wide im afraid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ArtTwisted, maybe check www.darkroom.ca , a Canadian supplier. More than US mail order, but well under the prices you have seen.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Geez when I first commented on this issue I was aware that our UK friends were having problems with Ilford and I've always sort of known that Canadians get shafted a bit like we do in Oz but I didn't know it was a global disease. But it seems we are all well off compared to poor bloody Brazil. Don't think I'll ever assert that we're overtaxed again! OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Long term, I can see some type of casual buying groups emerging, e.g. a loose group of 10 or 20 in Sydney keep in touch & put out the word when someone is about to place an order. Rather than having to post out the organisers might have some convenient location for collection, saving on extra postage costs, at least for some.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin