Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,558   Posts: 1,621,754   Online: 975

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This sort of extortionism has finally hit the news here in Oz. Not for photography as such, but everything. Clothes, tools, furniture etc. Australians are finally realising that they have been paying prices that are way too high compared to the rest of the world. The media are saying that it's not so much the retailers as the wholesalers who are ripping off the public.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An interesting article here about the Great Australian Gouge:

http://www.crikey.com.au/2011/05/09/...tralian-gouge/

Cheers, Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An interesting anecdote, Australian pears are on sale at the grocery store here in Canada, for $1 per pound. Makes you really wonder about freight rates in the world. Out of curiosity, what are Packham pears selling for in their home country?
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good article that on Crikey. For another blatant example: you can buy a KitchenAid Artisan mixer for USD220 in the USA but they're AUD700-800 (USD760-870) in Australia. I managed to buy the larger model (Pro600; not available in AU), pay its entire value all over again in 5-day air-courier costs and a transformer and still I have it in my kitchen and running for $300 (37%) less than the locally-sold models with half the power. You can't tell me someone isn't profiteering pretty heavily there.

Pears are about $2-3/kg (USD0.80-1.20/lb) here in supermarkets (growers/exporters get a bit under half of that) at the moment. They're right in-season now so easier to sell cheap than pay for cold storage and pears keep poorly anyway. Surface freight is insanely cheap, a few cents per kg once you're moving a few fruit bins (palettes) at a time.

Shooter
    35mm
    the article doesn't address the reasons why things are so expensive!

my take on it is basically due to the fact that we are in such a geographically remote location and it's because of this that the distribution channels into Australia are so limited. This allows the big players to easily control the market to their advantage.

It's not so much that the retailers are unwilling to drop the prices (although that plays a part too), but rather that the prices they are getting their products at are already inflated.. which is something out of their control since they just don't have many alternative choices available to them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shipping costs is a (no offense intended) crap argument. The fact that I can get individual items couriered to me (I pay $140 for a mixer in courier costs whereas a distributor would pay about $15 each by bringing 20 of them over on a palette) cheaper than I can buy them would indicate that shipping is not a factor. And of course I'm paying full-retail in my US/UK transactions, not the wholesale price.

Certainly I agree that the importers/distributors are the major problem, not the retailers. I don't understand though why a retailer wouldn't do exactly what I do and directly import. They must be moving much greater quantities than I consume (I am just one amateur), and I can buy (including shipping!) stuff like film for less than Kennedy's sells it; even a small retailer should be able to negotiate better wholesale pricing and shipping terms than I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just picked up a couple of pairs of Levis 501s here in TH from the Levis store. Have bought several pairs over the past few years, and incredibly, I picked up 3 pairs for slightly more than 1 pair in AU.

The scary thing is, these were imported and the AU ones are Made In Australia.

My local store in ADL used to get in some special order film for me - no they didn't go through the distributor, they actually ordered online and charged me slightly more. When they gave me the example prices, I almost died - thankfully they were more than willing to get it in for me, minus the middle man.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    .... I don't understand though why a retailer wouldn't do exactly what I do and directly import.....
    The retailers are probably being hamstrung by written supply agreements with the wholesalers/distributors. If the wholesaler finds out that the retailer is "back-dooring" him by importing directly he will probably cut off all supply to the retailer.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I'm always wondering too and buy lots from O/S as its always cheaper. As an add on to this discussion the Polaroid Australia Flickr group has been puzzled to cost variances too here http://www.flickr.com/groups/polaroi...7626682858229/ which also wonders why local sellers are so slow to ship things.
    A friend of mine bought a fish finder online from an Oz chain. It took them 2 weeks to get it to him compared to if he drove 30 mins to their store and bought it (it was in stock). I'm sure he could have bought the same item online for less $ and had it on his door in alot less that 2 weeks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    The retailers are probably being hamstrung by written supply agreements with the wholesalers/distributors. If the wholesaler finds out that the retailer is "back-dooring" him by importing directly he will probably cut off all supply to the retailer.
    Thats my understanding as well. I know of someone who has told me exactly the same - I.E., they would possibly do it to get something, but it would have to be hush hush for the above reason.
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin