Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,967   Online: 1178

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    The retailers are probably being hamstrung by written supply agreements with the wholesalers/distributors. If the wholesaler finds out that the retailer is "back-dooring" him by importing directly he will probably cut off all supply to the retailer.
    Thats my understanding as well. I know of someone who has told me exactly the same - I.E., they would possibly do it to get something, but it would have to be hush hush for the above reason.

Shooter
    35mm
    The retailers are probably being hamstrung by written supply agreements with the wholesalers/distributors. If the wholesaler finds out that the retailer is "back-dooring" him by importing directly he will probably cut off all supply to the retailer.
    Yeah.. this is much exactly spot on!
    When you have a distributor that owns the distribution rights in Australia to a large range of products then you pretty much have to do play by their book.

Plus it is not really manageable when you are a small retailer trying to manage your own importation especially when you have hundreds of different products it becomes highly impractical.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I suspect you're right, though I don't know how well that fits with our otherwise-most-excellent competition laws.

vcyoo: I agree that if a shop wants to manage the importation as well as retail that there is a lot more work so you trade the lower cost of goods for a much higher operating cost. However, I note that this approach has worked quite well in the computer market though they undoubtedly have much higher turnover and very short stock churn compared to an analogue store.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    Where's that Vanbar guy that responds to questions like this?
    That's me! I Only check in periodically, and I must apologise as I haven't read the whole thread.

The long and short of it is this :

The retailers aren't making huge margains on film / chem. We don't buy Velvia for $5 and sell it for $27.

The Australian distributors sell the goods to retailers at prices which they set, or have handed down by whomever.

If the cost to the local distributors was less then the retail price would come down.

Currently, as someone else put it, big photographic companies only like certain parts of what we call 'Free Market Economics'. This means that since Australia is a small market we effectively pay more.

Do I agree? No.

Do local retailers have the ability to change the situation? No.

The real shame of this whole situation is the 'vicious-cycle' aspect.

Customers stop buying as much film-stock via Australian channel.
    Australian channel sees reduced demand, increases price / stops keeping that line.

The issue here is, the Australian distributor isn't seeing the whole picture. They aren't aware of the demand for their product as customers are purchasing via a different channel.

The other channel (US/HK) sees steady demand and prices remain in check.

This is all my personal opinion, and shouldn't be confused with an official 'statement' or other formal message.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Just another example: I need some Provia 100F (35mm) for the coming weekend. Local offer in Melbourne: 137 AUD for a pack of 5 films. B&H price: 33.35 USD (= 31.44 AUD). That's 4.4 times the US price. Absolutely insane! I did not buy. I will shoot roll film instead over the weekend and order 35mm film from the US as usual.
    Last edited by Joachim_I; 06-02-2011 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    Yes it is. I just added up all the costs of buying my annual order of film:

4 boxes 4x5" TXP-320, 5 boxes 4x5" Portra 160, 5 boxes 120 Portra 160
    Freestyle: (incl postage and overseas transaction fees) AU$573.22
    The exchange rates were rather good that week - about $1.08

Local Retailer: (if I just walk there and pickup) AU$826.21

All up I've saved AU$252.99, EVEN WITH POSTAGE & TRANSACTION FEES!!!!

To me this is just extraordinary - TXP320 is not much dearer here (AU$6 dearer), but a pro pack of Portra 160 is more than double the price!!!

Ordering Kodak film from the US, it's probably fresher, too...

Marc!
    If you feel guilty, send the AU$826.21 to me and I will buy the film and ship it to you. That way you will get the same products and still stimulate the economy. I would just have to take a "hit" for the team!

Steve
    What no response?? I thought that you guys would be all over me jumping at this offer!

Can we talk? What about a slight discount for my work? I see a great business model here. What do you think? Maybe my costs plus 25% profit? Lets make a deal! You know, something you can live with and something I can retire on.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim_I View Post
    Just another example: I need some Provia 100F (35mm) for the coming weekend. Local offer in Melbourne: 137 AUD for a pack of 5 films. B&H price: 33.35 USD (= 31.44 AUD). That's 4.4 times the US price. Absolutely insane! I did not buy. I will shoot roll film instead over the weekend and order 35mm film from the US as usual.
    that is insanity.
    I saw on the internet some people in sydney wanted to by some fuji neopan 100, in some shop in the CBD they bought it for $25 for a 36exp roll! bh sells for ~3.50.
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ten years ago I really tried to support Australian retailers and buy all my film stock here. Even then it was cheaper to buy from B&H. I went to one very well known film retailer to try and and discuss the situation and see if there was a solution. They were immediately rude to me and basically told me to p... o.. This retailer no longer sells any film.

In the 90's I bought all my Schneider large format lenses through the our agent - CR Kennedy - at higher prices than Robert White, Badger Graphics and B&H. An 80mm SS XL that I bought was faulty. I took it back to the local agent who refused to help me, charged me for repairs even though the lens was still under warrenty, and who never fixed the fault. I took the issue up with Schneider directly in Germany. They immediately apologised saying the fault was a manufacturing one. They replaced the lens free of charge, and gave me a free $400 loupe as a gift for my problems. CR Kennedy never refunded my money for the non-existent repairs they charged me for.

Since then I have bought 100% from overseas without a hitch, saving a fortune, and getting perfect service. I bought a Toho camera from Badger Graphics which had a minor manufacturing fault. Upon emailing them they organised for me to send the camera directly to Japan where the camera was fixed free of charge. I have had to send a couple of items back to B&H (ie, warped dark slides) who have accepted them back with hardly a question, with a full refund. I have to pay the return freight, but in the end I am well ahead.

I am also professional in this industry for decades. Until ten years ago I bought 100% in Australia. Now I spend nothing. If I go to an Australia retailer they more often than not will not have the item in stock and tell me to wait a couple of weeks. I go online to B&H and it is on my doorstep in as little as 3 days. Once I bought a lens from Hong Kong and the courier was knocking on my door the next morning!

I spend well over $10000 a year overseas on photographic items, and I am just one of thousands of professionals. Even little things, ie a set of inkjet cartridges for a common Epson R2400 printer. It is impossible to buy a set of these cartridges from any Aussie retailer. So for every order I put into B&H I add small items such as this, and I get them at almost HALF the price and freight free! ($14US / $23AUD per cartridge. This saves me almost a couple of thousand a year alone)

I notice local prices have not come down even though the Australian dollar is now high. I have no idea how Aussie photographic retailers now compete - but they lost the war ten years ago
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a similar experience with CR Kennedy, the local Bowens distributor. I needed to pick up a couple of Pulsar transmitters for my lighting kit - and you needed to purchase 2.

Q: Do they come as a 2 pack?
    A: Definitely not! They are only sold as single components!

So I buy two - $700. Lo and behold 2 weeks after purchasing, my local store has twin packs for sale from the very same distributor at $595!!!! (Note I couldn't get the original purchase from these guys, as CR didn't have stock in ADL. They had to come from MEL.)

P*****?? Yet bet! Since then I've *never* purchased any item that CR imports - I'd be happy for them to go under with their lackadaisical "couldn't give a **** about your business" attitude.

I order from OS or get my local ADL supplier to order in from OS for me when I'm in town - if the local distributors want to charge 4x more, good for them; they just won't be getting my business any time soon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect that B&H sells more film and paper than all the distributors Canada and Australia combined. I suppose this means the prices should be cheaper there. It is a vicious cycle as you say but in this modern age of global economies, easy access to information about mail order products and rapid courier shipping it really boggles the mind as to why the distributors continue like this. A business model has been lost in time somewhere and sorely needs to evolve as the exclusive distributor/retailer channel relationship is broken by international web site ordering.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin