Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,049   Online: 761

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    I suspect that B&H sells more film and paper than all the distributors Canada and Australia combined. I suppose this means the prices should be cheaper there. It is a vicious cycle as you say but in this modern age of global economies, easy access to information about mail order products and rapid courier shipping it really boggles the mind as to why the distributors continue like this. A business model has been lost in time somewhere and sorely needs to evolve as the exclusive distributor/retailer channel relationship is broken by international web site ordering.
    Agree completely. It's a suicidal policy for old multi-line distributors(less so camera distributors)here in Canada. Then there's film pricing that burns me, Harry and the rest of the Canadian crew, especially when the Canadian $ is worth more than the US$.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good chunk of the price differences in Canada is the result of the govt's insistence on bilingual packaging.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    A good chunk of the price differences in Canada is the result of the govt's insistence on bilingual packaging.
    Too bad that our (Australian) retailers can't use that excuse.

It's pretty clear that here it's the importer/distributor that is 90% to blame, they're greedy and not in touch with recent trends. Retailers could be more proactive but they're too worried about upsetting their distributor.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Pull the other one, mate. B&H sells Portra 400 120 for US$4.89; Silvano in TO sells it for C$7.19. Doubtful bilingual wrappers contribute as much as greed to the higher prices.
    Last edited by CGW; 06-03-2011 at 12:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford boxes are multilingual but are priced higher here. Same for Fuji, Kodak...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Some will simply circumvent the higher prices which the distributors are allegedly responsible for but where this is difficult or the user wants simply to see what analogue is like, then such users will give up so greed in whatever form will directly impact on the likes of Harman itself.

Simon Galley had to confirm yet another price increase in the last few days. Combine this with greed from whatever other source(s) and this could seriously impact the future for all of us.

I am amazed that Harman isn't taking a long hard look at its distributors.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like Marc, I purchase in reasonably large amounts, which is usually enough film for a year and a bit.

This past week I have purchased 400 sheets of 4x5" Ilford FP4+ in 100 sheet boxes, from Badger in the USA.

I could have walked into my local store in Melbourne and purchased the same thing, except it is in the fiddly 25 sheet boxes and a bit more than reasonably expensive.

In Australian dollars if I walked straight into the store, the cost to me would be $976.80 or $2.442 per sheet. This of course includes the Australian GST (tax) of 10%, fine.

The American purchase has cost me $391.91 Australian dollars, which includes freight to my front door. If, as it may in the future be taxed at the standard GST rate of 10%, then I would have to add $39.19, bringing the total to $431.10 Australian dollars.

As there is currently no GST payable on goods I bring in if the total bill is under $1,000.00 Australian dollars, I am slightly better off.

The bottom line is this:- I have saved myself $584.89 Australian dollars by staying at home and shopping online.

This means that each sheet of film I expose costs me $0.97 instead of $2.442, a saving of $1.472 per sheet.

This is not a, what if I do this scenario, this is a real and almost unbelievable saving.

Regarding the Australian distributor of Ilford films, well they don't really care about their films, they care about the Ilford papers for electronic photography, that is where their real profit lies.

I would humbly suggest Harmon has their hands tied with the Australian distribution of their products, total goods sold versus their niche product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    The bottom line is this:- I have saved myself $584.89 Australian dollars by staying at home and shopping online.
    So if I drop by on vacation [holiday], you will buy me a pint beer since I am from the state, right?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks LachieC, I do wish the bosses at Vanbar might tell us more.

Please don't take my comments as rubbishing Vanbar, the Sydney store has been a model in customer relations and loyalty to film and I suspect that any high prices have been forced on them by market size and the Oz agents.

I needed 100 sheets of RC 8x10" paper and found that Foma was available down the line in Sydney for $72, Ilford via Vanbar is $160 (ouch!).

Maybe the Czechs are melting down King Wenceslas's silver crown to make paper and the Poms have to buy on the spot market?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim_I View Post
    Just another example: I need some Provia 100F (35mm) for the coming weekend. Local offer in Melbourne: 137 AUD for a pack of 5 films. B&H price: 33.35 USD (= 31.44 AUD). That's 4.4 times the US price. Absolutely insane! I did not buy. I will shoot roll film instead over the weekend and order 35mm film from the US as usual.
    There seem to be a nice opportunity for arbitrage here. One can buy relatively large quantities of film from the US (or anywhere else after having considered logistic and tax matters) and sell it retail through an eBay and/or internet shop. Quantities might be optimized for custom duty exemption, or maybe not it wouldn't change a lot the overall picture.

If Australia offers mail / courier services fast and reliable enough I think one could make a living out of this.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin