Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,689   Online: 854

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Is it crazy to buy film retail here?

Yes it is. I just added up all the costs of buying my annual order of film:

4 boxes 4x5" TXP-320, 5 boxes 4x5" Portra 160, 5 boxes 120 Portra 160
    Freestyle: (incl postage and overseas transaction fees) AU$573.22
    The exchange rates were rather good that week - about $1.08

Local Retailer: (if I just walk there and pickup) AU$826.21

All up I've saved AU$252.99, EVEN WITH POSTAGE & TRANSACTION FEES!!!!

To me this is just extraordinary - TXP320 is not much dearer here (AU$6 dearer), but a pro pack of Portra 160 is more than double the price!!!

Ordering Kodak film from the US, it's probably fresher, too...

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yes, it is!

I only buy it here when it's more convenient. For instance when I need/want it quickly or when it's out of stock elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you feel guilty, send the AU$826.21 to me and I will buy the film and ship it to you. That way you will get the same products and still stimulate the economy. I would just have to take a "hit" for the team!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes it is Marc — absolutely, while the dollar is dazzling. I'm now well and truly set with 215 mixed rolls of film for my around-Australia trip leaving 30th.

B&H is doing a roaring trade from me with film, but the sting is remains in the air freight, which seems to be measured by cubic volume, not weight. Three rolls of 120 ProPack Provia (this is a small package when you think about it) in a huge box incurred a US$54.00 air carriage, but I still saved $69 over Australian retail.

I have just garnered a refund from a Melbourne camera outlet who overcharged me on a roll of Fuji Acros 100, which I had to buy a fortnight ago in a hurry, not by choice.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're crazy to buy anything photographic except chemistry (freight costs) in Oz and that freight paid to B&H probably would have been the same if many more rolls had been ordered. By the way, I believe good old Australia Post might have been the first to "discover" the concept of cubic mass as a means to gouge more money on lightish parcels - now there's a good export of know-how if ever I've seen one!

I read a missive the other day from the pen of the guy who owns Maxwells whinging about how they are doing it so tough because of internet shopping and suggesting that when they were the Australian importers of Nikon they only made about 3% on the deal. You need a Woolworths' type of turnover to run a business on that sort of margin - one wonders why they kept the agency until Nikon themselves took it over if there was so little in it.

I have no guilts whatsoever about buying offshore since we in Oz have been shafted for decades by manufacturers and wholesalers particularly and retailers to a lesser extent. These guys have finally woken up to the fact that consumers today can find out in a flash if they are being ripped. Yeah the dollar is making a difference right now but even when it was 75cents, it was still worth it to buy cameras and lenses from the States. GST makes a bit of difference as the retail clique likes to point out but the main factor is the base prices are just much lower.

OzJohn

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Yeap - every few months its bulk order time from the states
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

- Mark Twain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah it's insane. Not just film either ($10-15/roll vs $5/roll incl shipping) but hardware too - I bought my first flash from B&H for $300 (+$50 shipping) instead of $1100 at the local shop (for local people).

I'm pretty sure it's the distributors to blame, not the camera stores. Doesn't matter though if the stores aren't smart enough to be importing it themselves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes it is very crazy
    anyone doing an order, I need more stuff.
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Yeah it's insane. Not just film either ($10-15/roll vs $5/roll incl shipping) but hardware too - I bought my first flash from B&H for $300 (+$50 shipping) instead of $1100 at the local shop (for local people).

I'm pretty sure it's the distributors to blame, not the camera stores. Doesn't matter though if the stores aren't smart enough to be importing it themselves.
    The manufacturers and distributors are more then happy to play global when it comes to manufacture and sourcing products, but want to play regional when it comes to sales.

Places like CR's DON'T CARE. I'd has it a guess that to them, film is but an inconvenience, but since they have the market sewed up…..

And who suffers in the end? It's the retailers. I know of one retailer who has gotten in products that are not on their Distributors lists, but quake in their boots, in case the said distributor finds out.

Yes, I am guilty of buying overseas like the rest of you, but I also like to be able to go into my local and get some wet chemicals when I can, or a quick spare roll of film. If we don't support our locals, what is going to happen if they stop stocking EVERYTHING?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hoffy,
    There aint no guilt in buying overseas like the rest of us. Whinges and wails from the likes of billionaires Gerry Harvey and Solly Lew only make me mightily determined to do things my way (like literally millions of other Australians) rather than pay exhorbitant prices for anything from a USB cable to a replacement lounge castor.

My B&H order was changed at the $1.09 mark, so it was a rip-snortingly good transaction!

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin