Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,716   Online: 762

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tmh

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Shopping at Ted's?

Hi there

I've kindly been given some gift vouchers for Ted's by someone who knew I liked photography. However I shoot large format panoramic film, and after browsing a couple of stores (Elizabeth St and Chadstone) I can't seem to find anything that suits me. I find Ted's stock all aimed at the digital shooter.

I thought perhaps some printer paper - they don't even sell that - let alone anything A3-A2. Lens cleaning cloths and other sundries maybe, but I have over $200 to spend. They only stock screw in filters (nothing square (Lee)), tripod selection is limited, don't need a bag or anything, their printing services I have found to be of really poor quality.

Is my only option to put the vouchers towards a DLSR or something with good resale value, and then sell it on ebay new in box?

Are any of the other stores in Vic larger than the one in the CBD?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Not looking the gift horse in the mouth!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would ask them if they could order in some stuff that I wanted that I could pay for with the gift cards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your in the City branch go upstairs they have a few nice items up there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Reselling a DSLR will lose you a fair bit of value, especially considering Ted's prices. I would suggest getting a bag even though you say you may not need one. I would have thought they could order in Lee or Cokin filters, or at least a good tripod head.

Or use the vouchers as gifts to someone else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Stock up on some FB paper and chemistry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMorris View Post
    Stock up on some FB paper and chemistry.
    You may need to spend some time explaining what that is unless you happen on some old geezer who hasn't been retired yet. If you do happen to do so watch the mist of reminiscence form in his or her eyes. Ted's Sydney stores do however have a good range of camera bags (one piece of gear that hasn't been made digital) which would be my choice for the price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give the Southland store a telephone and ask for Stefan, one he's old enough, two he's knowledgeable, and three, if it's available on a special order, he would order it.

The upstairs section of Ted's in Lizzie street was always the professional section, I used to haunt that out for secondhand stuff, I'm assuming that is closed these days?

I don't use Ted's, but we were trying to find a lens cap and thought we'd head into Ted's in Southland, which is local to us. Got talking to Stefan, he was able to find the obscure size I was after, the rest is history.

They do, and will get film in.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of years ago my 3 kids (who are all single adults with good jobs) got together and gave me a $300 Teds voucher for my birthday. Having previously struggled with finding something worthwhile in Teds to spend a lower value voucher on (if you think Elizabeth St is bad, just try Knox City), I inwardly groaned, gave it a lot of thought, and six months later put it towards a decent tripod, but I had to travel to the city to find it. Thereafter I diplomatically suggested to my wife and the kids "please, please, please... no more Teds vouchers - their choice is low and their prices are high".

tmh

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the Elizabeth St. store again to see if the upstairs is still open or not...

If only the vouchers were for Vanbar!

Cheers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    does anyone remember the Ted's on Pitt st? they used to have the most enviable (possibly second only to Riesel's) window display of second hand cameras in all formats...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin