Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,680   Online: 851

Shooter
    Large Format

Amidol in Australia?

I'm trying to find a source of Amidol, either in Australia, or who will ship here.

Artcraft in the US won't ship overseas.

Any help appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    None of that stuff is allowed to be shipped outside U.S. it is ORMD.

Best bet is have someone post it to you, or have someone in the UK buy it from Silverprint and post it to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm interested in this too. A bit of nosing about shows this old thread from '06, talking about an Adelaide-Based company (not sure which - AceChemicals are the people I use and they don't stock it). Freestyle sell this, "Weston's Amidol Powder Developer", which contains amidol. It's not marked as HazMat by Freestyle and they'll ship it internationally. The same is true of Photographers' Formulary, they wont ship pure Amidol internationally but it seems as though they will ship amidol containing developers.

ChemSupply have a listing for it here, under "2 4 Diaminophenol dihydrochloride 98%". Could be worth investigating.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If using Amidol for Azo or Lodima, the recommended formula is Michael Smith's:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Formulas.html

"Weston's" is a different formula, and I've read that it uses Chinese amidol -- I'd prefer the UK stuff.

They do have a "Lodima" formula, and I've contacted them to see if they will ship it to Australia.

Thanks for the pointer to ChemSupply, I'll contact them too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just got an email back from Silverprint. They don't ship any chemicals overseas.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMorris View Post
    Just got an email back from Silverprint. They don't ship any chemicals overseas.
    You wouldnt want them to, they gouge shipping massively.

Get someone in the UK to post it to you personally.

Shooter
    Large Format
    FYI, I found a chemical company in Australia which has "Amidol 98%" available:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com (choose Australia as the location).

It's quite expensive (over $2/g), and I'm not sure if it is photographic grade or not. If anyone buys from there, please report back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe they wouldn't ship it because they miss heard you and thought you said Amatol
    Last edited by benjiboy; 07-05-2011 at 08:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin