Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,504   Online: 1138

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The dollar

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

The dollar

So I just checked the exchange rate.
    We are almost 1 for 1 again.
    For you financiers out there, is it time to buy film now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just compare the prices online and you will see for yourself. Even when the dollar was only about 80 US cents it was still worthwhile. Now, at or near parity, it is more worthwhile, even when shipping costs are factored in.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Kevin, thanks. Yes it always makes sense to buy from the US. I'm just wondering if I should jump in now before it drops even lower. I've heard there are some problems with the US economy at the moment.
    Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Kevin, thanks. Yes it always makes sense to buy from the US. I'm just wondering if I should jump in now before it drops even lower. I've heard there are some problems with the US economy at the moment.
    Tom.
    Yes, a major financial watchdog downgraded US Government credit rating from AAA to a AA+.
    First time in the history of the rating system we have not had AAA.

What exactly this means in the sustainable future is yet to be seen but is expected to cause "issues".

I am not an economist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So... Is it tipped the Aussie dollar will fall further? I've really enjoyed being this far ahead of the yanks :P

...And I want to buy some stuff too...

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Well, I need some film... so it makes sense.
    Who's in for a Freestyle order???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a good deal of pushback toward Standard and Poor's rating service (those wonderful folks who rated subprime mortgage "assets" AAA a while ago). The other rating agencies are not following suit, nor are the markets up to now.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These babies are "The New Dollar:"

2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    For you financiers out there, is it time to buy film now?
    It's always time to buy film Seriously. If you can afford it, buy it, store it, especially anything that may be going away (e.g. slide films in LF sizes).

The implications of the financial situation are that some companies may need to take drastic measures. (even though quite a few large companies are on better financial footing than our governments!) This situation usually means reducing inventory, charging more for shipments, eliminating whole product lines, and refocussing on the most profitable core businesses. And, sorry (I really am), for the likes of Kodak and Fuji, film production and distribution and marketing is a net drain.

On the other hand, we do see the likelihood of a drop in prices of most petrochemicals, following the decline of crude oil, but my guess is that no company will pass that savings on to the consumer. They seldom do

The price of silver may well rise a bit, but the commodities have been one ridiculous bubble for a long time so I doubt that price increase will in any rational way affect film prices.

So, the main risk factors for film are: reduced inventory, and realignment and consolidation of core business, and greater cost for shipments.

So... yeah, buy buy buy And consider buying stock too. Many great bargains soon!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    So... yeah, buy buy buy And consider buying stock too. Many great bargains soon!
    Kodak stock seems to be going cheap!

I once heard an economist once say 'Never catch a Falling knife'. With the US now borrowing MORE money instead of trying to fix the mess they are already in, me thinks the falling knifes are still gathering speed......

As for buying film, its always a good time!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin