Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,758   Online: 847

Shooter
    Multi Format

NSW Parliamentary "Plein Air" show

After licking my wounds for a week or two and very likely joining the vexatious correspondence list for complaining that they don't, for your $30 entrance fee, pay you the courtesy of a "thanks, but no thanks" e-mail I went along to have a look.

The exhibition is in Parliament House, Macquarie Street, prepare to be frisked btw.

Yeah, some are quite good, but the "committee" does have a taste for full on overwhelming skies and major Photoshop "sharpening" and lots and lots of colour.

Anthony Browell's contact printed 8x10 glows in monochrome, caught my eye.

A few film photographers of artistic repute around town didn't bother entering.

Sometimes it does seem a dilemma: to make something a panel of judges will like from past selections (this is the second year of this prize) and maybe win $10,000 or stick to a style of your own--and that isn't easy in a world of millions of images--for better or worse.

As a glutton for punishment I submit to the APUG mob my entry.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whoops, messed up the attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Underpass.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Overheard recently some advice given to a group of camera club members asking how they could improve their photography..."STOP COMPETING WITH EACH OTHER"!!

Hmmm, I think I'd give your photo a 'credit' Ross :-)
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I entered a work that also wasn't accepted. Some years I don't enter any comps and other years I enter everything. I got the impression that the judges for this prize are looking for a bit of everything.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I thought they were very commercial looking images in the selection this year. More like travel pics than landscapes with heart. Disclaimer: I too was rejected and pissed about the utter lack of correspondence after entering. My entry was pretty but unpretty too...

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20100826.jpg  

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Ross, I like your picture. It's calming, for some reason.
    Jon, I like your picture too. It has the opposite effect. Where was it taken?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I give you all tens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We could have the Apug prize for you guys, no oversaturation allowed. Like the two entries so far. That shot of yours Jon really caught my eye, great details of the devastation! Could that be on top of Brown Mountain down here in the southeast?
    Tony

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm glad it has the opposite effect! It's part of my Apocalypse Now series, due to exhibit at Point Light next year. It was taken out in the Oberon area (Hume's forest). I love going snow chasing out there when my amateur-meteorologist friend gets it right.... When he doesn't it's a long futile drive...

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    Overheard recently some advice given to a group of camera club members asking how they could improve their photography..."STOP COMPETING WITH EACH OTHER"!!

Hmmm, I think I'd give your photo a 'credit' Ross :-)
    I have been through the awful camera club experience in a club not so far from your precinct.

The competing thing is at the heart of this club movement. I found that getting your print up at top left of the display of the night paid off, the visiting judges were usually fatigued by the time they reached the bottom right pics.

I have a kitsch trophy from that time featuring a naked member of Australia's first people, complete with boomerang and pampas grass (?) proclaiming my prowess as "Winner--Large Prints--IWPS 2005" which I hide in a very dim corner of my darkroom.

As for the Parliamentary Prize, it's ten thousand bucks; worth the gamble for the $30 investment, I guess.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin