Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1128

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Another South Australian

Hi All

I'm new to photography - 3 years with a 40D
    Even newer to analogue - 9 months with mostly a nikkormat EL

Well I'm in love. Both with the analogue medium and the experience/feeling/enjoyment when using these things from the past that are so beautifully built

I was about to start my journey towards a 5dmk11 and 'L' primes but think I will now go down the medium format/darkroom path. Using film will probably cost more and be less convenient but it is the only way I can get the opportunity to use these beautifully built cameras.

Given that, I'm on the hunt for a mamiya 6 RF or Rolleiflex TLR, or perhaps a leaf shuttered MF SLR.

Also, is there a mailing list for the next Adelaide film and darkroom user group meeting and/or for the next Adelaide Photographic Market?

Cheers Nathan

P.S. I'm needing to set-up from scratch, so if your wanting to conveniently offload you entire kit to upgrade to newer/more suitable gear I'm your man

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nathan,

Welcome to APUG! I'm also from Adelaide, but now living in Bangkok.
    You'll love using MF gear - I've got a GS1 and the results are spectacular.

Keep your eyes peeled for updates, and maybe choose Australia>Adelaide as a region selection for what you see in new posts. The market and AFDUG (Hoffy) usually notify you well in advance.

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Nathan! I'm not Australian and have never been to Adelaide, but like Nanette says, MF gear is great. Hope you can find something in good condition and affordable down under!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi and welcome aboard! Nice to see a new Adelaidian.

And yes, keep your eyes peeled! We are well on the way to getting the Adelaide Film and Dark Room Users Group, which anyone in Adelaide is more then welcome to attend. Send me a PM with your email address and I will add you to our group emails.

As for the market, that only happens once a year. You'll have to wait until May for that.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    -Rachelle
    Yeah looks like I'm a little bit late to the party. The prices for film gear seem to be really expensive as of late. I guess popularity has increased.

-Hoffy
    PM on the way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nathan,

The recent ad for a GS1 is a bargain!! I paid more than this for the 65mm alone.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not sure if I'm after that style (SLR) (e.g. hasselblad, mamiya RB/RZ etc) - they seem to be heavy.

Also the ergonomics of MF SLR seem to dictate waist level shooting. This one has a prism. I have never held one before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from another Adelaide-ian - a friend of mine picked up a Rolleiflex here in Adelaide for $350 earlier this week in the central markets, so bargains do happen, just a matter of waiting patiently.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan96 View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm after that style (SLR) (e.g. hasselblad, mamiya RB/RZ etc) - they seem to be heavy.

Also the ergonomics of MF SLR seem to dictate waist level shooting. This one has a prism. I have never held one before.
    Define heavy. A 5d MkII, with grip and a big whopping piece of glass on the front is also pretty heavy !

I think you would be suprised by how usable some of these camera's are and removing all the bells and whistles lets you concentrate on taking photos.

The best thing, though, about film and this kind of equipment is there is so much out there that you can play with. You'll find GAS will be a problem!
    Last edited by hoffy; 08-16-2011 at 01:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Nathan and I hope you like it here at APUG. There still bagains out there.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin