Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 729

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No thanks, I'm trying to give them up.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I do. I just sent an inquiry about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I do. I just sent an inquiry about it.
    I thought about it but the shipping would kill the deal.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've occasionally seen decomissioned minilabs at auctions (physical, not online) going cheaply. Whilst I imagine that having one for home use would be impractical, I'm almost tempted to buy a broken one as a decorative item

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There were five of them passed in at auction here in Adelaide earlier this year. No one wanted them even at $50 each. Of course you need to have real quantities being processed before it's worth it otherwise the chems go off before you use their full capacity. I was sorely tempted to get one just as an awesome source of spare mechatronic parts (pumps, valves, stepper motors, etc) but I don't have the storage room.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've rather get a minilab setup for the scanner.. guess a "digital printer" part is what I'd like. I'd like to get a processor still.

If there comes a big decline in processing options from what there is now, something like that would be needed to handle the demand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We're down to two E6 labs in Adelaide, one of which is $12/roll and the other is horrific. That's well past my "process at home" pain-point, hence the Jobo. I'm concerned about the Jobo's longevity though considering how plasticky it is; I really do not want to construct a replacement lift module or agitation motor. Nor do I want to reinvent a whole new processor from scratch.

OTOH maybe in 5 years 3D printing will have come far enough that we can print all the replacement parts to good-enough accuracy. I suspect someone could do quite well by drawing all the bits up in CAD and churning out parts to the amateur-processing crowd. Not to mention printing simple cameras, LF backs, etc...

(the processors passed-in here were 135/C-41 roller transport things designed for supermarket use; no scanners though I think there was an RA4 processor for 6x4"-8x10")

Shooter
    35mm
    This thread has got me thinking. Owning a mini lab would be cool. I am not sure how the cost would compare to just developing at home with a kit I live in Adelaide and i was wondering where they were auctioned? I use Atkins for E6 - good but pricey. Where is the other E6 lab? Is it black and white on magill Rd? Thanks in advance

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I know that Fuji.ca is pushing labs still running their mini-lab processors to ditch them. So little 35mm C-41 is being shot that chem costs are making them a losing game. Dry print-only lines are what they're promoting. Also suggestions that Fuji will be cutting back on chem supplies.Anyone's guess whether that's scare tactics or a heads-up. Once-common Fuji Frontier/Noritsu minilabs are getting very scarce around Toronto.

Was offered a smallish E-6 processor for cheap last year but almost needed a defibrillator when shown the chem tab and service bills. Yikes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin