Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,358   Online: 822

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tips for shooting film in a humid region?

Hi,

Traveling to Myanmar next month with my friend for a photo trip.

Anyone have experience shooting with film in heat humidity and rain?

Been to Myanmar? Any things in particular to watch out for?

Thanks

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot it in monsoon nepal. Keep it in fridge or some place cool if possible. Don't open it till you need it. Pretty basic I think, film has been shot in conditions like that before, it can take it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    keep it cool and dry and sealed before loading.
    Use zip lock bags with fresh silica gel for cameras loaded or empty
    ditto for shot film

don't leave a possibly damp film in a camera pull and leave in zip bag

The US people in Vietnam said it was worse than milspec their electric equipment failed.

Your camera may need a strip afterwards.

If you are going to be in country process promptly in country.

Umbrella...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Olympus mju "all weather" is cheap and good option.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good morning Rick,
    I have been using a Nikonos Calypso II with the 35mm f2.5 lens for 40+ years now around the world wherever conditions rainy humid or dusty. Great quality of images color or B&W. I keep the seals cleaned and coated. Wonderful machine, never worry about it.
    All the best,
    Sam H.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I live in Malaysia, and I've been a month to Vietnam and some time in Thailand. So I do have some experience with keeping film safe.

For 35mm, keep the film in those little canisters unless you bought bulk from ilford, where the film are kept in those nifty little plastic bags, only they them out to use them. Store the exposed rolls back into the little canisters for the roll you just took out. This should be enough

For medium format, all the roles comes in those plastic bags, so you're okay there. Though once fully exposed, keep the lock back in a ziplock bag.

These are just basic steps you can take to ensure your film aren't ruin. It also goes without saying that you shouldn't exposed them to extreme heat. This is especially important if you are shooting slide film. Another trick is to buy a drying agent packages and throw them into your camera bag and then use it as a portable drybox for your camera and film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've spent some time travelling in very humid places across Asia, and often I travel with no other safeguards than ziplock bags for my film (which are not in canisters, since they take up too much room). I'm not saying that you shouldn't follow the above advice, since it's better to be safe than sorry, but I've travelled for weeks at a time (Thailand, Cambodia, Burma, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.) with minimal protection for my film and they've all turned out fine (except infrared...that does suffer from the heat, but I'm sure the expiry dates have something to do with that too).

That being said, now I travel with dessicant packs, plenty of ziplock bags, several microfiber shammies to wipe things down, and only take the amount of film that I think I'll use for the day to keep heat and humidity (and sometimes x-ray) exposure to a minimum.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take usual precautions that you would when storing and using film, nothing much else specific needs to be done.

This year, I suspect Myanmar might also be a little drier and hotter than usual - in India the monsoons have been more or less absent so far, and temperatures have been higher than usual (el Nino effect, supposedly).

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I live in Florida, rain, humidity, and heat. Go shoot in 95% humidity and 95deg temp. I use a 8x10 camera and I never keep my film or camera cool when shooting. that is the number one killer of film. Condensation will develop on lens, cameras and film when taken out. I don't even like keeping the camera in the hotel room because it has air conditioning. So leave film in foil container if sheet and canisters if roll film but keep away from air conditioners. and if you have to, leave in heat for about a half hour prior to using. camera and film. good luck
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin