Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,374   Online: 1074

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

What's the focal length of that lens???

I found an elegant way of measuring the focal length of any lens, including tele constructions:

In an otherwise unlit room I taped a sheet of white paper to the wall opposite of the window. I drew one vertical line on the paper. I then focused the image of the window on the paper, lined up one edge with the line, and drew a line down the other edge.

Having a few lenses of known length helps a lot, of course - any lens will do! 35mm, MF, LF, tele or retrofocus, close-up "filters" (+1 is 1m, +2 is 1/2m and so on); anything with known focal length.

Plot your known focal length vs. width of window image, connect with a line. You can then read off the approximate focal length of the unknown lenses.

Since walls and windows tend to stay put this is repeatable - until you move to a different house.

Half an hour's fumbling about with lenses and I had a neat list of 10 previously unknowns!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you referring to focal length or image circle?
    Joseph Burke

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It measures focal length by way of projection of a distant object of fixed size. It is possible to calculate the focal length just from the (known) size of the "distant object", the distance from the "film plane" (wall) to object (window) and the size of the projected image, but a table or even curve is much easier.

Note that the rest of my hallway is dark, so I see only the image of the window. I still don't know anything about the image circle!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin