Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,952   Posts: 1,522,725   Online: 895

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How do you photograph families in troubled times

I often get asked how I manage to work with families in difficult times so I've jotted down a few brief notes as my insomnia continues to haunt me, hoping this might help you some day.

Firstly, honesty is always the best approach. Family members will open up to you as much as you open up to them. Listen more and speak less. If they need a hug, hug them. Show them that you really care. If you don't care, you shouldn't be there in the first place. Don't ask searching questions, they will tell you what you need to know - and much more if they feel comfortable around you.

Don't try to be "the photographer". Be a friend, a support. What you are doing is giving them a wonderful gift of lasting memories.

We all feel vulnerable and self conscious at the best of times when being photographed - even more so when life's challenges become too great.

Go with the flow and allow life to unfold in front of you. When the patient looks tired ask the family if they'd like you to continue photographing or take a break. Keep the communication open at all times and never be pushy. Stay in the background and photograph what you observe. Allow the family to relax and enjoy quiet moments together whilst photographing from a respectful distance.

Observation and intuition will always be your best tools.

Most of all, appreciate the privilege of being invited into their precious lives. As a photographer we have an incredible gift to give.

Life is one big rush to the finish line, so let's stop and smell the roses along the way. I wish you and your families many beautiful moments together with your loved ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds just about right to me. If you don't feel the mood you don't get the shot.
    Last edited by Allan Swindles; 02-23-2008 at 05:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Another thought!
    I'm into painting with light - NOT painting by numbers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some very good thoughts, Nicole. After all, you are inserting yourself into lives that are stressed and any photographer undertaking a project such as this, whether personal or otherwise, should be appreciative of the opportunity. Well said, Nicole. By the by, have you participated in a project such as this or witnessed another photographer doing so? It's just that this article seems like so much more than mere stray thoughts of a shutter deprived insomniac. Just curious. Again, thank you for the article.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Allan and Christopher, thank you. I've been on both sides of this article more than once. My website may give you a little insight. It's part of who I am and why I do what I do. I wouldn't say I'm shutter deprived, quite the opposite - and most gratefully so. Thank you for your feedback Christopher, I appreciate you taking the time to write.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You are welcome.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin