Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,268   Online: 1004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Buying Second hand equipment: The Pro's and Con's

Ebay - Private sales or Online Stores
    APUG Classifieds (or similar on other Forums)
    Reputable dealers

Over the past 20+ years I've bough quite a wide variety of second hand photographic equipment and it's worth sharing - highlighting the good and bad experiences and how to avoid the worst sellers.

Reputable Dealers:

In the past I always used to buy from reputable dealers, excuse the UK bias but these included Robert White & Teamwork, and 2 or 3 Leitz official dealers, but there are many others, both in the UK as well as the US etc. A major advantage is you can trust their judgement on quality and you usually get a limited warranty, up to 6 months. In general these dealers sell items at fair second hand prices, and turn-over items quickly because of this.

But with the advent of the internet things have changed. Some reputable dealers sell items faster than they can find them . . . . . .

I should add that APUG has a few highly reputable advertisers selling second hand equipment at fair prices.

APUG (and also the LFPI forum):

A very good source for buying 9OR SELLING) second hand, one I particularly recommend very highly. Over the past 3 or 4 years I've bought camera's and quite a few lenses etc - all have been as good as and some far better than the advertisers descriptions. Postage has nearly always been punctual and at a fair price, the only postage problem was USP not the seller . I have had one bad experience but when brought to moderator's attention it was sorted out I was one of a few (including a moderator) with problems with the seller(& on another forum too) and I had my money back eventually.

Highlights have been a "Mint" late production 150mm Xenar, and an equally good 135mm Caltar-S II (Symmar) both at bargain prices, and a 3 cameras 35mm - 5"x4".

I'd particularly recommend posting "Wanted Adverts" that's how I was offered the Caltar.

Ebay:
    1. Private sales.
    Can be excellent but also qite hit & miss. In general I've come out on top despite 3 or 4 bad deals.

The poor deals where: 2 Speed Graphic's in poor condition sold as a pair to build one good one from the parts. A slight problem, when they arrived one was pre-Anniversary the other a Pacemaker & no parts where interchangeable, but both are now completely rebuilt & functional so after some work and some extra costs all was well.

Worst still was a bunch of 4 Graphic lens boards, only one was a Graflex board ! Turned out the seller was an APUG Subscriber, but he's since been banned anyway

Best was my main Agfa Ansco 10x8 Commercial View, it was a non Paypal, US only sale. Good contact with the seller, 2 trans-Atlantic telephone calls, paying the "Buy It Now" price, then patience while funds took days to clear through the US Banking system, and the 6 weeks shipping, it was all worth it. The seller threw in a brand new Beattie screen !!!!

Try and buy from people with near 100% feedback. On more expensive items try and make contact & maintain good dialog, pay promptly.

A few other Ebay purchases have been less than perfect but the low prices have meant I haven't lost out.

Some of my best Ebay purchases are often for multiple items, fewer people bid, I've picked up a Chinon CE-4S camera f1.4 50mm & power drive that way, with a Spotmatic & 2 screw fit lenses £22 ($34)

I should add I'm often buying for other people and have had some superb bargains buying outfits.

2 Ebay Stores.
    Choose carefully, many US stores are excellent, I've used quite a few for parts and smaller items.

In the UK you need to be much more careful, a few are dominating second hand sales with rather heavily inflated prices, it's particularly noticeable with LF equipment. For example some are selling 90mm f6.8 Angulon's for between £230 & £260 when reputable dealers sell them for closer to half the price, as are US dealers. My personal view is these sellers try it on, I've seen the same lenses listed & re-listed for well over a year in some cases just waiting for Mr Gullible to buy

The best Ebay Stores are often affiliated to traditional dealers (US, UK etc). In the UK two I'd recommend are MW Classics and The Real Camera Company, but there are others. I've also bought a few times from a German Ebay store.

A few other tips, any mention of slow or sticky shutter speeds means the shutter may need a CLA, allow for the cost !!! That cheap TLR might need an expensive service.

To sum up: Ask the seller if the adverts is vague, not detailed etc, many times a simple question tells you not to buy, or that it's a good bargain.

My personal view based on experience is that the classifieds here on APUG or on the LFPI are the best places to buy & sell equipment, other than to go through a reputable dealer.

I've not forgotten local sales through newspapers, Craig's List etc but that's another issue

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-18-2009 at 04:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have bought many excellent items from E-bay, and several duds. However my worst experience was a silly 2pound adaptor from the uk that cost me around $30AUD postage and never arrived. The seller had a high feed back percentage but with over 11,000 items sold had rather a lot of negatives I never bothered to read before. Turned out he didn’t care about overseas transactions and retaliated with "bad buyer ... liar ... see other 11,000 positive feedback..." as standard practice to any problems. The item never arrived, after giving up on communication I left a negative feedback to the effect " ... see other negative feedbacks they do matter". The result was he reported me to E-bay square trade as having received the goods and claiming I hadn’t in order to get a re-fund... funny my small country post office hadn’t seen it either! To my absolute surprise, e-bay terminated our account despite a 100% positive feed back ... turns out sellers who turn a good volume over are more important to e-bay than honest buyers!!! I wouldn’t bother relating this other than it seems to happen rather often, and E-bay its self is such a giant it seems to be a law unto its self, with no accountability to anyone.

Okay off the soap box. Look around charity shops, some of my best bargains have come from them, plus you can handle the items first. Also watch the for sale ad's in your local paper, if they are selling dark room gear, chances are they have an attic full of old camera stuff.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would also like to mention Camera Electronics in Perth http://www.cameraelectronic.com.au/, they are the last second hand dealer of camera stuff in Western Australia. They can be a little pricey but will move on price and have an in house repair shop so you know your in good hands. Some times I find its better to pay that bit extra and rest easy in the comfort of knowing the goods (like my Zorki 4K) will work correctly. Also if you like russian equipment these guys http://www.fedka.com are EXCELLENT!!
    Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    I have bought plenty of used gear over the years from shops Ebay and private sales with no real problems apart from an EOS 100 where the shutter started playing up after a month,my preference is from shops but that becomes more difficult as there are fewer shops doing used gear compared to say 10 years ago
    There Is A Bustle In My Hedgerow

My Film Shots On Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought and sold several hundreds of items on eBay and the bad deals I've had I could be counted on one hand and have a finger or two left over. Early on I learned to ask questions about the items I'm interested in owning. That requires me to know something about themand know what questions top ask. I would never hesitate to buy from eBay. I do pay attention to feedback scores. Craigslist has generated some good buys, however in general my experience has been that buyers in aprticular or a little more flakey on CL. When sell, good pictures, good description and good return policy are essential. I've not yet had to take anything back that I sold on ebay. Remember, good pictures, good description and good return policy. Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've bought two out-of-state items via craigslist and am very happy with both items. I found them with this excellent search crawler...

http://www.craiglook.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great link Mike, but had tears in my eyes as I looked through all the wonderful stuff you guys in the US can pick up for such great prices!
    No chance of this in AUS, hardly ever see these bargains. And forget about Thailand - nothing, nada, nix. . . . . . .

Missing my darkroom dearly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nanette,

I'll bet many craigslist sellers will ship to Ozzy Land. Just offer to pay the shipping and pay the seller with either an IPMO or a MG.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin