Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,626   Online: 913

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Custom Model Release

After quite a bit of thought and conversations with other photographers and models, I have settled on what I consider to be an appropriate Model Release, offering protection in good faith to both Photographer AND Model. Most "boiler plate" releases are heavily biased toward the photographer, and truthfully, *I* would not sign them myself. Note that this is a "custom" release, tailored to Fine Art Figure Studies. There have been reported instances of abuse, with the Model Release treated as a "License to Kill" - something FAR beyond the bounds of good faith - and without "good faith", may be vulnerable in a court of Law.
    I will make the usual caveats ... I guarantee NOTHING as far as "legality", typographic purity or anything else. I would advise anyone to obtain legal advice before placing all their confidence in this Release ... but before progressing futher, refer to Dan Heller's site. There is a great deal of useful information there.
    This Release is not only NOT "guaranteed", it is subject to change, based on additional input from participants on both "sides" of the community.
    All comments are welcome.

Here it is:

(Letterhead)

Assignment - Preliminary Model Release

The undersigned Model and Photographer agree to work together for the production of images in the category of Fine Art Figure Studies, for use limited to Gallery Exhibition and Sale, Portfolios (in any media) and Promotional Literature, provided that:

1. The work on this date will be in general agreement with the tone and texture of the work previously reviewed in the Model's and/ or Photographer's portfolio/s, and other agreements between both parties prior to the commencement of the photographic session.

2. The Model will be provided by the Photographer with reasonable opportunity to review and critique the work prior to publishing or public exhibition. The photographer agrees to cotact the Model, using reasonable effort to do so, from information included herein, to arrange and schedule that review. An additional Release will be provided at that time to authorize the use of specific images.
    Should the Photographer's effort to contact the Model fail, the Model agrees to abide by the photographer's discretion as to content and form, for the uses stated above, and other appropriate publishing applications.

3. The photographer agrees to provide the Model with photographic prints and digital images of the work, for unlimited portfolio and promotional use, irrevocably, and without additional fee.

4. In addition to the compensation for the work on this date, the Photographer agrees that the Model will receive ten precent (10%) commission from the sale of all images produced on this date, for a period of three (3) years following the date of this agreement.

5. The Model hereby releases and discharges the undersigned Photographer from all claims and demands arising out of or in connection with the use of the images as stated above, including, but not limited to, invasion of privacy.

Date _______________ Photographer ________________________

Model's Signature _______________ Models' Name (please print) _________

Address _________________________________________

City ______________ State ______________ ZIP ______________

Telephone # ____________________________________

Additional Contact Information _______________________________

Last edited by Ed Sukach; 02-18-2007 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected reference address
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What a novel concept... that models are people too. Thank you Ed Sukach for traveling on the high road. We do need more like you!

Best regards,

Bill
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you, Bill.

I appreciate your expression of support. You have re-stated - exactly - what I am trying to do ... "Take the high road".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format

No model release problems if you just ...

I shoot vegetable portraits. I just eat my models afterwards. No release. No problems (other than a little indigestion). The only payment goes to the produce department, who never ask for a commission!

(By the way, you guys in the U.S. should count your lucky stars! Here in France the question of model releases are (to me) a nightmare; a photographer is obliged to stay in touch with the model and get permission for each and every use of the image for ... I don't remember how many years. Any French photographers reading this are welcome to correct or contribute information)

Best,

Christopher
    American in Paris produce markets

PS - yes, of course I shoot portraits, too... but of vegetarians!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin