Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,008   Online: 864

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Has the music anything to be with your photos?

Today it's a grey day in my city. It's no usually but I like it. I don't see blue sky. It's a cool day. We have 5 or 6 grades. It's perfect looking behind the windows as the rain was falling .......... but this is not at all. I was hearing music that makes me feel a lot. Prokofiev as example with his classic simphony or others more and my mind fly with a lot of ideas for work with phototography. Do you have the same feeling? It's the clasical music for you a way to inspare to take photos?
    The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. (Helen Rowland)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    read on...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having been a musician and music engineer and producer for most of my life, and photographer only in recent years, working as a photojournalist and otherwise, I can only say that I was always 'seeing' the music, ALWAYS seeing and hearing what I was doing. Not just full songs but color tones while changing equlaization curves, selecting the right mic etc. With images its the same for me, only I draw on my previous experiences with dynamic range, composition over time is now composition in two dimensions etc.

Honestly, photography is not always related to music in the same way that music was visual for me. But I have to say they are similar enough for me not to worry about why I make this or that decision when composing or editing. I just do what comes naturally and I definitely draw on all my production and theoretical experience and knowledge without second guessing.

Music in my head, music playing, whatever... I cant see why anyone would be upset over this but I will assume I am one of the lucky ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding the specific question of listening to music as an inspiration...I find that inspiration is fleeting by nature, best to act on it before it takes flight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mozart works best for me in the darkroom. And I don't particularly like Mozart!
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've learned through experience that I can listen to loud, intense music while taking pictures or thinking of ideas for photographs, but I should listen to soothing music while developing film. Once while developing a roll of film and listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra's Wizards in Winter, I got too vigorous with the agitation and ended up with with high contrast negs. Using Rodinal 1:25 for the first time didnt help much with contrast control, either
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't photograph while listening to music because the darkcloth would tangle with my headphones, and besides, it's distracting. I have no synaesthesia.

Music is very important to me (I listen to everything from black metal through a billion varieties of electronic music to progressive psychedelic rock through ambient drone music and a bit of classical), but it's pretty much a different experience from photography.. separate aspects of experience. The only thing really compatible with my state of mind while engaging in serious photography is probably ambient drone music, but again - the headphones tangle up

I do like music in the darkroom. Always end up putting on arcade fire for some reason.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Being interested in music and have played music since I was in 4th grade, I use photography and music to help each other out. When I'm out and about taking photos, I usually end up with the start to a musical piece playing in my head. After I'm done with the shots I want, I get that melody or tune onto paper. When I'm continuing to write that music at a later time, I go back and look at my photography to give me that extra little 'push'.

I figure at least if the music doesn't come out right. There's always the photos I took. I don't know what I'll do if those don't come out right!
    My weapons consist of 11 cameras. And counting... Be afraid.

We are the makers of music, The dreamers of dreams.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Beethoven! Always. When I work or I'm looking for inspiration it is Beethoven. Generally my son on the piano with a Sonata or a Piano Concerto (CD'S). Right now it is very hard to write this as he weaves his way through the Tempest. If Beethoven does not inspire one then no one will.

Jim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In a very nice episode of Myth Busters (Discovery, part 1, part 2), they've tested whether plants grow harder or not when listening to classical or rock music, talking to them, abusing them. It seemed that Heavy Metal music is best for growing plants, any music is better than none and talking sure helps a lot.
    It is also my practise in the darkroom: all kinds of music, depending on the state i'm in, I sometimes abuse my prints verbaly, and sometimes I tread them nice, talk to them in a soft voice. They still don't grow on me, but the effects are that I have a good time and I often laugh about me...
    Groeten uit Deventer,
    Jaap

"Ik ben de ideale man:
    Ik ben verlicht, net als mijn onderwerp,
    ik ben gevoelig, net als mijn platen,
    ik ben goed ontwikkeld, net als mijn papier,
    volgens mijn vrouw ben ik alleen iets te veel gefixeerd,
    ze vindt dat ik beter kan stoppen..."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaGeorge View Post

Honestly, photography is not always related to music in the same way that music was visual for me.
    I thought I was going to be the odd man out but, interestingly, here are two of us, both professionals in the music field, who see music but don't hear photographs.

I am 60 now and have played music since I was about 6, playing professionally, on and off, from age 14, and like MetaGeorge, music is very visual for me. I see scales, keys, timbre, rhythm, timbre, everything.

But for me a photograph is a glimpse into silence, even photographs of scenes that are noisy. I have never associated music with anything visual, not painting, sculpture, photography, nothing.

And I never listen to music in the darkroom. It is either silence or talk radio. After a long session, I often play some music (not a recording, I mean an instrument) to relax.

Now I am not saying this is better and I don't really understand why a musician would be like this, but there it is. I leave it up to someone smarter than I to figure it out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin