Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,488   Online: 792

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Has the music anything to be with your photos?

Today it's a grey day in my city. It's no usually but I like it. I don't see blue sky. It's a cool day. We have 5 or 6 grades. It's perfect looking behind the windows as the rain was falling .......... but this is not at all. I was hearing music that makes me feel a lot. Prokofiev as example with his classic simphony or others more and my mind fly with a lot of ideas for work with phototography. Do you have the same feeling? It's the clasical music for you a way to inspare to take photos?
    The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. (Helen Rowland)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to see some Sigur Ros fans. I haven't yet tried associating my images with any particular music. Since I've started shooting more, I've noticed I'm listening to music less. I might try shooting photos with my iPod playing, because losing touch with music troubles me.

For the record, those who like psychoacoustics should check out Levitin's This is Your Brain on Music. It's excellent.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc W View Post
    I am 60 now and have played music since I was about 6, playing professionally, on and off, from age 14, and like MetaGeorge, music is very visual for me. I see scales, keys, timbre, rhythm, timbre, everything.

But for me a photograph is a glimpse into silence, even photographs of scenes that are noisy. I have never associated music with anything visual, not painting, sculpture, photography, nothing.

And I never listen to music in the darkroom. It is either silence or talk radio. After a long session, I often play some music (not a recording, I mean an instrument) to relax.
    I am a semi-pro musician but I don't tend to listen to much music whilst I'm doing something such as darkroom work. When I concentrate on something, my mind seems to mask out the music I don't remember listening to any of it.

I did listen to som Brian Setzer Orchestra whilst setting up some darkroom equipment a few days ago though.

For a musician, my record collection is quite small. I just prefer live music really.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For me, music is inseperable from my photography - one helps me visualise the other.

The spare Northern European jazz mood of many albums on ECM records (and the wonderful photography and graphic design of the covers) is probably my greatest photography 'mind food'. I aim to create photos as stark and visual as the emotions I get when I listen to much of the music on ECM. (I often fail though miserably though ...!)

ECM Records:
    http://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php

ECM Cover Art:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windfall-Lig...3139245&sr=1-1

Cheers,
    Gavin
    Last edited by coigach; 05-06-2010 at 06:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, they are coming from the same sources in me. Actually I also have a masters degree in music before studying photography and I feel they are connected somewhere. They just come in different forms.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Music is a perfect WarmUp for the brain.
    As Photography is... As love is

And when one's brain is up and running, who knows what it'll bring to the world

Mussorgsky for landscape photo
    Mozart for Street Photo and snapshots
    J.S. Bach for hard-to-build photography
    Coltrane for night scenes

What about you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Begood View Post
    Music is a perfect WarmUp for the brain.

Coltrane for night scenes

What about you?
    I've had Coltrane's 'Ballads' on my little player for a couple of years now.
    I find any music to be a bit distracting if I'm trying to work something out.
    But to get me into the 'zone' and start me on the route to wanting to start making meaningful pictures I've yet to find a better aid.
    On my way home after a (hopefully) successful trip - 'Closing Time' or 'The Heart of Saturday Night' by Tom Waits.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Please try Shostakovitch concerto No 2 and then perform miracles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I do agree, its the beautiful images on the covers of ECM that started me buying them, (also the great music I discovered )

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin