Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,509   Online: 760

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Has the music anything to be with your photos?

Today it's a grey day in my city. It's no usually but I like it. I don't see blue sky. It's a cool day. We have 5 or 6 grades. It's perfect looking behind the windows as the rain was falling .......... but this is not at all. I was hearing music that makes me feel a lot. Prokofiev as example with his classic simphony or others more and my mind fly with a lot of ideas for work with phototography. Do you have the same feeling? It's the clasical music for you a way to inspare to take photos?
    The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. (Helen Rowland)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, but I am listening to "California Dreaming" a lot now.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sirius that's a classic. No?. I think.
    The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. (Helen Rowland)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For me it's a mix of Classical and American Jazz from before around 1950. I don't know why. But sometimes when I'm working a scene setting up my view camera, looking at the scene upside down and backwards on the ground glass (but seeing it right side up) and working the controls by feel, I do hear music. Everything from J. S. Bach to Duke Ellington. A fair amount of Mozart and Haydn. I seem to have a gap between Beethoven in classical and Fletcher Henderson in jazz (about a 40-50 year gap). Again, don't know why.

But I do know that when I go revisit a scene to make another photograph, I hear the same music. It's like they are associated somehow in my brain. Makes me think there might be an electro-chemical reason for hearing music while I'm lost in photography.

I was interested enough in this that I actually exchanged some letters with Oliver Sacks (neurologist and author of a number of books including Musicophilia which I highly recommend to anyone interested in how humans deal with music). He told me that it's not unusual but is somewhat rare, and that he doesn't think it's a form of synesthesia. Which sort of disappointed me.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, music has a great deal to do with my photography. I simply cannot separate the two; I hear music when I see, and I see when I hear music, and my internal radio is pretty much always on high volume. Anyway, my musings on this topic may be found in one of my apug blogs here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/kei...mposition.html

As for what style of music, I hear everything from Bach to Beastie Boys, it all depends on the situation. I do find a great deal of musical rhythm in photography and tend to look for it.

(not sure why but the apug blog links seem to have disappeared, perhaps I should move my posts to the articles section? But I really didn't mean for them to be articles per se, just informal, random musings....)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Images
    Music, photography and engineering math are all mixed up in my brain. I enjoyed life the most when I was an aerospace research scientist for NASA, principal oboist of the Norfolk Symphony, and photographing guest artists during dress rehearsals. I also enjoyed helping my wife make six children.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hi, i like Brian Eno - Music for Airports. It's minimalist ambient music; good accompaniment to photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i always wanted to record sounds and play them with my images
    i even bought a record cutting lathe to do it ... but i ran out of enthusiasm.
    music is always running through my head but it's the music of outside
    or the clank of steam warming up a radiator or the horn from the barge on the bay ...
    you know the little things ... must be "the postman" in me.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes.Like Miles Davis and music for "Dingo".I never saw that movie,never been in Australia,never see dingo, but I have pictures.
    Franol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jvan01 View Post
    hi, i like Brian Eno - Music for Airports. It's minimalist ambient music; good accompaniment to photography.
    Have you heard the "real instruments" version by Bang On A Can? Quite an interesting take on a piece that was never really conceived for performance by live musicians.

Personally, I can't separate music from *anything*. It tangles with my photography about as much as it tangles with everything else, which is to say, quite a lot.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin