Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,483   Online: 983

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going back to real photography

I am on the brink of returning to my darkroom,the dark, the developers and the smell of fixer. Digital is magic and can result in stunning pictures but they are not the product of my skill. I will never forget my first print emerging in the tray, and my first good print some time later.
    I am in awe of the vast knowledge of subscribers on this site and wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MinoltaUser10 View Post
    They take a shot during the dancing, then stop to examine the digital image they just made - "was it good or should I delete it?" During those five-or-so seconds of examination he's missed one or two important one-chance-only shots.
    I have seen sports photographers doing that too.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would like to add that I finally developed my first four rolls of T-MAX 400 in over eleven years. Yea! Most of it came back to me. (slight misload of one metal spool-5 pics-nothing important lost). I finally remember using only water on a stop bath in the past but this time I could not remember how to mix up my stop bath! No wonder. I never did for film. Then, I did something else I never did before. I poured the 32 oz of used fixer back into the half gallon container. I always used to just throw it away as a one shot. No big deal as I will re-use it next time. When I was done, I had to say, "this is photography"!
    What throws me off now is remembering some film enthusiasts saying to scan the negs while in the Printfile sleeves to get an idea of what pictures to really persue. My scanner wants them in strips, with only two rows for the real scans. It won't accurately scan the Printfile sheet because I only get a negative appearance when I do that and not a positive photo to look at. Bummer, because I thought hybrid. Back in the film game now.

Shooter
    35mm
    I learned that I can "invert" the proof sheet in Photoshop to see it as a positive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any memorable rare moments in life can never be forget for whole life. Real photography is on basis of street events, family events etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Liberated from the computer. Most of us sit in from of these damn things all day long - imagine spending your spare time sat in front of a work tool.
    WORD!

I'm a network engineer. I surf the Internet at home (mostly forums of my hobby interests) extensive, keep in touch via email, then go to work and sit in front of a computer for work email and a terminal program configuring devices to keep Internet traffic flowing. It's nice to get off the damned thing and get my hands wet and feel like I'm actually crafting something.

Plus I started in photography when that's the way it was done, never got over the excitement of watching a print come up in the developer tray, and I enjoy it.

That last is key. Because I enjoy doing it this way.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Roger,

me too, Networker, Cluster,*nix-administration and architect.

Nothing in my free time can bring me in front of a terminal. If I imagine all the hours over hours I would have to spend in front of a screen to re-invent everything with Pooshop to reach only 25% of the skills I already have ...perhaps only to notice I have to wait a few more years for the technique still to be developed ...

Horst
    everything becomes more worse. one thing becomes better: the moral becomes more worse.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Back to the Darkroom

As an old Irish Newspaper Press photographer said shortly before he died, 'There is nothing like the smell of the darkroom with it's Stop-bath and Whisky!' Amen

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 to that!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just had to re-read most of this entire thread. I finally sold my two Nikon D300 bodies and I am down to one Nikon F100 film body now with a pair of prime lenses. I always liked a 35, 50 and 85 prime lens combination over the years. I am awaiting the newest Nikon 35mm F1.8G for FX to complete my newest lens kit. I have been agonizing about not having a digital body right now but after reading this thread again, it hardly makes sense to agonize while I can shoot film like I always used to. As a matter of fact, I recently shot a friend's wife's birthday party with two rolls of Portra 36 exposures and some of the same party with a friend's digital Fuji S5 body. The Fuji, which is supposed to be so great for color wasn't in this case. I don't want that camera now. I am convincing myself that film is real photography for me. Digital was mostly "snapshots" in comparison. Maybe digital is too easy. I like the manipulation that can be done on a model in post processing with digital but film, especially B&W, is real photography and it always has been. for me.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin