Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,718   Online: 1172

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going back to real photography

I am on the brink of returning to my darkroom,the dark, the developers and the smell of fixer. Digital is magic and can result in stunning pictures but they are not the product of my skill. I will never forget my first print emerging in the tray, and my first good print some time later.
    I am in awe of the vast knowledge of subscribers on this site and wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?

Shooter
    35mm
    do painters who use watercolors, acrylics, or oils argue like this?
    Analogy fail. Watercolors, acrylics, and oils are comparible to B&W, color negative, color slide, or perhaps 35mm, medium format, and large format.

The real analogy would be arguing which is better, painting or photography. Or indeed, painting and digital imaging. There was a time when painting vs. photography was a real debate; thankfully everyone has gotten over it and now nobody asks painters why they just don't take a picture. Eventually, the same will happen with real photography and digital photography, and everyone will be better off.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Perhaps because that describes a lot of us?
    Yup...or at least some of us

not sure about long winded but peculiar and messy describe me quite well
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Why, you ask? Because it's there.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    'Digital photography' is real photography, and is the product of the photographer's skill and expression.

Digital photography is to real photography what Bobby Bonds is to Hank Aaron. Both do require some natural skill and, well, other stuff.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Call us purists if you want. My own involvement goes way back to the 60's. We understood the need to take ownership of the final image with all the dust spots and film processing imperfections staring at us after the dry down of our final print, our "photo opus". If we aren't careful we will soon be buying our travel photos at kiosks in strips of five or six. Shot buy someone else we will make excuses for them over coffee and cookies with our writhing friends firmly tacked down...(Oh..did we already do this before?)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Seafoto Welcome back. We are glad to have you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    'Digital photography' is real photography, and is the product of the photographer's skill and expression.
    Regarding the second part of your sentence, yes. Absolutely no argument with that whatsoever.

Regarding the first part, it is true that they do both produce an image which can be experienced. But the road traveled to get to that image could not be more different in equipment, materials and skill sets required.

For many today the term "photography" refers only to the image produced. How it was produced is irrelevant. But for some - including, I suspect, a fair number of people on APUG - the definition of that term is more broad and also includes the rest of the various traditional analog processes.

Considering it here for a moment, it seems to me that once the image light has passed through a taking lens, I can't really see any more intersection points in the two methodologies. The mechanisms and final physical outputs are nothing like each other - except that they both eventually depict a viewable image.

For some, that's not an important distinction. For others, it is the single most important - and a defining - distinction.

Photography is a big tent. Big enough to hold lots of different people holding differing opinions on just what a photograph is. Nothing wrong with that, just as long as no one tries to force their opinions on anyone else.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

—Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Digital photography is to real photography what Bobby Bonds is to Hank Aaron. Both do require some natural skill and, well, other stuff.
    Bobby or Barry?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yah, Barry. Shows how much I care about baseball.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Yah, Barry. Shows how much I care about baseball.
    Why Would Anyone Care About Baseball ?

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin