Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,880   Online: 963

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going back to real photography

I am on the brink of returning to my darkroom,the dark, the developers and the smell of fixer. Digital is magic and can result in stunning pictures but they are not the product of my skill. I will never forget my first print emerging in the tray, and my first good print some time later.
    I am in awe of the vast knowledge of subscribers on this site and wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wee Gillis View Post
    If we aren't careful we will soon be buying our travel photos at kiosks in strips of five or six.
    Postcards? Individually rather than in strips but often the best photographs available in an area you visit for a short time!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron LarFor4X5 View Post
    Why Would Anyone Care About Baseball ?

Ron
    Cause it's fun to take analog pictures of?

Shooter
    35mm
    1. Digital is too pricey for me (upfront cost). "Good" camera, "good" printer, "good" lenses etc. I can pick up old box cameras for $10 or less.
    2. I sit in front of a computer all day, don't want to do it in my spare time which is related to...
    3. Analog feels like an active process to me, where digital feels more passive. I'm sure that's different for everyone though.
    4. My 75 year old box camera will never have a dead battery and I can still get film for it!
    5. I need to prove to myself (and only myself) that I have the ability to take a great photo without advanced technology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Only one computer all day? Getting off easy ;-) I wrecked a great hobby back in the 70's getting into computers for the $$$. Treated me well,,, but other hobbies now are old fords, some wood work, and a metal shop made up of pre 1960 equipment. Electronics has come back as fun,,, but tubes mostly, some descrete solid state. Not so much digital control. Newest camera is my Nikon F, the Ftn finder does need a battery, but the meter still has a proper needle, and if it quits it's still got to be set by hand anyway. I do need to say, that the dark side has offered a great replacement for a poloroid for taking notes on shop projects. I love it for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How many quarters in a baseball game?

(from the northwest, only Seattle teams to wonder about).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    How many quarters in a baseball game?

(from the northwest, only Seattle teams to wonder about).
    No, not quarters! They are called "chukkas". The full game is 8 periods or chukkas, but often in club matches 4 or 6 chukkas are played.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ewgardner View Post
    Cause it's fun to take analog pictures of?
    Which professional team would allow you to photograph their multimillionaires ?

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No, not quarters! They are called "chukkas". The full game is 8 periods or chukkas, but often in club matches 4 or 6 chukkas are played.

Steve
    As good as the Mariners are, might as well try Polo. (I had to look chukkas up ;-)

Shooter
    35mm
    At a club meeting recently I was asked why I do my printing in the darkroom and would I not be better doing this on my computer with the lights on. My reply was that I spend all day in front of a computer in work, who wants to do the same thing when they come home!!! Plus when I am in the darkroom the rest of the world dissappears and I can concentrate on what I am doing. Unless you have a room to yourself and your computer you are bound to be interrupted some time. Welcome back to the dark!....Brian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    As good as the Mariners are, might as well try Polo. (I had to look chukkas up ;-)
    Well watching the Mariners play could give you a reason to up chukka!

Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin