Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,754   Online: 1016

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going back to real photography

I am on the brink of returning to my darkroom,the dark, the developers and the smell of fixer. Digital is magic and can result in stunning pictures but they are not the product of my skill. I will never forget my first print emerging in the tray, and my first good print some time later.
    I am in awe of the vast knowledge of subscribers on this site and wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope it goes up to 11?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes the of fixer. I own and operate an accommodation business in the summer, but when things slow down in our off season I feel the pull to my darkroom and creating art. Digital certainly has its place, but for me real photography is in the darkroom. I stick to this "messy long winded method of making pictures" because it is my passion. There is always so much to learn, so much to experiment with and so much magic happens in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Haha love it!

Shooter
    35mm

you will know

I found this page today while I was doing an inventory of my old cameras and photography equipment with the idea that I would put all the stuff on ebay.
    I have not used the equipment for years, it's dusty, and it takes up space.
    I wondered "Can my digital camera (the one from which the batteries are always either lost or dead, the one from which my crashed hard drive images or scratched disks are lost) do just as good as my cumbersome SLR and darkroom? Feeling philosophical I looked on-line for the value of traditional photography.

I live to tinker. I thought about an old "59 English Ford I had with a 4 cylinder flathead with bad rod bearings. and the discussion I had with a mechanic about whether or not a 1978 Pinto engine would fit. "Sure", he said, "You can make it fit - but you'll know it's the wrong engine." He said, "Find a way to fix the original."

Today I remembered my college photography classes, my old, damp basement darkroom back in the day, and the pride I got from from the final results of my K1000 and that rickety old enlarger. I still have those black and white photographs, and although they might not be masterpieces, they do have a "real" look and feel.

I found this site, read some posts, wrote this response, and got my questions answered - and besides, most of my old stuff ain't worth a whole lot of cash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freddjos View Post
    I found this site, read some posts, wrote this response, and got my questions answered
    Welcome home.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    And from me too! Get plenty of good books to inspire you and you're away
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberspider View Post
    i cant get the HD images i could with my digital i had
    but i think thats more me than camera

i 500 shots and then delete the rubbish ones

with film you take more time to pick your shot and think more about what your shooting for me
    Didn't we talk the same way back when about the problems with 35mm and folks just becomming "gunners" with motor drives to get one out of 36 good pic's vs the "real" photographers using sheet or 120? I guess it comes around again.

And HDR,,, Humm,,, wasn't there some old guy that could play a piano pretty well that came up with HDR for film? (I just kill me some days ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Didn't we talk the same way back when about the problems with 35mm and folks just becomming "gunners" with motor drives to get one out of 36 good pic's vs the "real" photographers using sheet or 120? I guess it comes around again.

And HDR,,, Humm,,, wasn't there some old guy that could play a piano pretty well that came up with HDR for film? (I just kill me some days ;-)

someone has to be the ugly-cousin ..
    if it isn't one thing it's another
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Large Format and the Canon 5D

Here's a little animation I put together about my approach to photography.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7588651/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FOTFLMAO!!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin