Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,295   Online: 840

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going back to real photography

I am on the brink of returning to my darkroom,the dark, the developers and the smell of fixer. Digital is magic and can result in stunning pictures but they are not the product of my skill. I will never forget my first print emerging in the tray, and my first good print some time later.
    I am in awe of the vast knowledge of subscribers on this site and wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tubetime View Post
    Here's a little animation I put together about my approach to photography.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7588651/
    Magnificent !

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Film is amazing and I'm glad I'm part ofthe dark side.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You cannot resist the power of the darkslide
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm

The Joys of Film

I look on in amazement at digital photographers at weddings. They take a shot during the dancing, then stop to examine the digital image they just made - "was it good or should I delete it?" During those five-or-so seconds of examination he's missed one or two important one-chance-only shots. Because he's too busy doing in real-time what should be his post-production winnowing.

I've shot weddings for friends - either as the only or as a secondary photographer. Using film, I did not have the opportunity - nor the distraction - of trying to figure out if the last shot should be deleted. Instead, I would be concentrating on getting the right shots, watching the action and being ready to grab the shot. I used my experience in setting the f-stop, speed, depth-of-field - and bracketing as well - to be prepared. And then to keep shooting as the action dictated. I left my "is it good or is it not good" soliloquy for when I got the prints back from the lab and discarded those that were not up to standard. But as I had kept shooting I almost always had a "good" version of any "bad" shot.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've noticed what you describe so many times as well!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Real photography is with a P/S, as with my mother's Brownie, still have some of the pictures going back to the 1950's, retired lady with a great Hawaiian sunset, with a 35mm P/S, a grandmother of her granddaughter in a field of flowers with a 110. These last two I seen while working in a one hour photo shop years ago.
    Yes I do have digital cameras, backs turned off, using the real viewfinder, and several 35mm SLRs and P/S, my Minolta Hi-Matic can out do the digitals, and for normal photos can not tell from the SLRs photos, the SLR's are better when going for the art side of photography, negs are in a box, can find them when I want. Just getting back to darkroom myself. Learn the craft, and learn to enjoy other peoples photos as well.
    Learn good photo habits, they will serve you for life. Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Reading this fascinating thread, these 2 quotes leaped out at me because the reflect the analog dilemma most clairvoayantly:

Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    I would suggest that there is also a top-down aspect to digital & computer and a bottom-up aspect to film & darkroom work, that makes for a huge distinction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Portellini View Post
    I tried once the darkroom stuff and found it boring. What I love about photography and specially analog is that you just need a film roll and an ancient camera to produce stunning pictures. Cameras that most people will throw away.
    I have very limited darkroom experience but agree that the experience is critical. I remember the days (1990's...I'm not that old) when I had a decent relationship with a good photo store who processed my film and listened to my print requests. They had a plethora of checkboxes on their envelopes for the no-nothing point-and-shooter to the pro, and I too advantage. I shot Rollei 35 and Nikon F with decent glass as a young "prosumer". Swallowed up in digital later, I now realize that all my photos taken since look essentially the same compared to my earlier analog shots which are abundant with character. Turning pages, my older photo albums crackle with difference and energy depending on which film I happened to have in the camera, which camera, grain, etc. It's a wonderful journey.

That's been lost with digital. I love the absolute clarity digital gives me, but I feel like I am driving through the same suburb when looking at my shots. There's no quirkiness; no randomness; and digital being so unforgiving with mistakes, no quirky salvations. I like to hold prints as much as online sharing. In fact, the real joy of analog is in the print for me, but that is a process I never did.

I do not have the time for a scanner and am loathe to spend more time in front of a computer screen. And with no darkroom experience, space for, or time to learn I feel that jumping back into film is a real test. Last summer I took my Minolta X-500 and gear out with Ektar 100 and was very impressed with the results, manual focus and all! Did the same with my Olympus 35 RC and was again impressed. I then bought an incredible bargain Mamiya 645e and am looking to leverage my composition and exposure skills with the MF format, preferably in B&W, but am stymied by how to get to the print stage effectively and affordably without it becoming a part-time job

Anyway, terrific, inspiring thread.
    Last edited by Aristophanes; 03-25-2011 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: tpyos

Shooter
    35mm
    It gives me a great deal of satifaction reading all these posts about the real photography. I've done it off and on for many years with the film, digital and even instant prints from Mom's old Polaroid! I continue to return to the original format, film. Someone selling photogear once asked, "Why are you doing this in digital"? My answer was simple, it has become it's own type of therapy. Even the industrial photography I did for so long is a recollection of simple healing that has its own reward. Thanks for the memories, to turn an oft used phrase best said by the late Bob Hope.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a great thread to read. I have a B&W develop and print background as well as a life in photography with a photo degree. I put my DSLR's down for December and I have yet to take them back up. I have been getting my B&W darkroom stuff together again. I just shot three rolls of 35mm T-Max, yet to develop. Not so sure what part of all this I am willing to play right now. I think that I will develop the film myself, then put it into plastic pages and scan (as a proofsheet). Then, it is all up in the air from there. I hate the idea of spending $100 on ink for my printer. Also, it is a shame that my enlarger with my Apo Rodagon is just sitting there, unused for so long now. Any needed print correction is going to be easier on my computer after I scan the negative I want to print.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Chemical photography is the nearest you will get to pure magic.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin