Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,282   Online: 957

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Going back to real photography

I am on the brink of returning to my darkroom,the dark, the developers and the smell of fixer. Digital is magic and can result in stunning pictures but they are not the product of my skill. I will never forget my first print emerging in the tray, and my first good print some time later.
    I am in awe of the vast knowledge of subscribers on this site and wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the cheapest way to get the highest quality in your photography. And we spend enough time starting at our computer screens as it is...

Cheers,

Welcome back!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a hobby. I take snapshots with one of the "dark side" products,,, but when I'm out "taking pictures", it's a whole focus, mind set, engrossing process. The process for me also involves the dark room,,, even thou I"m not doing my own prints, and I do send out color processing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seafoto View Post
    I ... wonder why they stick to this peculiar, messy long winded method of making pictures ?
    You make being peculiar, messy, and long winded sound like bad things. I do it for those reasons: it is peculiar in that few practice this craft any longer. It can be messy if you get sloppy, but that is what mops are for. And something that is easy and quick to achieve is rarely the best that can be done.

But I make photographs the traditional way because I can better express my artistic vision that way. And because I am infinitely more satisfied looking at (and feeling) a fiber based print that began as a film negative than I am an inkjet print from a digital camera. Because for me, there is far more craftsmanship involved in producing a photograph the traditional way. Because 2 hours in the darkroom is more pleasurable than 2 minutes at the computer. Because, as Stephen Stills wrote, "I don't do bidness that don't make me smile."

Why do great guitar players "stick to" 50 year old Strats and tube amps?
    Why does Elmore Leonard still write his books with a pen on yellow legal pads?

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think photography is peculiar, messy, and long winded. I think that it is simple, easy, efficient, high performance, and beautiful. Making pictures with computers is the complicated, peculior, roundabout, and frustrating way.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Liberated from the computer. Most of us sit in from of these damn things all day long - imagine spending your spare time sat in front of a work tool.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by seafoto View Post
    ...peculiar, messy long winded...
    Perhaps because that describes a lot of us?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    seafoto, welcome back from the Dark Side!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm sure a lot of people here have some variant of this story--I did it as a kid, in high school and college, kind of got away from it for a while, came back, tried a digital camera, then another, not happy with results, dusted off old film camera, sent films to lab, not happy with results, eventually realized that crappy machine prints were even crappier than they used to be, determined to start doing my own lab work again, etc. Yes, digital cameras keep getting better in some ways, but they just aren't as much fun. Playing with chemicals is fun! And there aren't enough legal ways to do that.

Ever try setting type by hand, in a composing stick? Now, that's a long-winded process!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "It is the sweat of your brow that makes you proud of a days labor boy". "If you don't have a little sweat (equity) in what you do you don't have any pride in what you have done". These words ring in my ears every day of my life and have since I was five years old and helping my Grand daddy work on the tractor or work the farm. His voice was rough and deep and he spoke with a stern tone that let you know he meant what he said. I am looking forward to getting back into the darkroom after such a long hiatus and I will enjoy every minute of it because I will have sweat equity in the process no matter how long it takes. Digital only allows you the opportunity to develop a serious case of carpel tunnel syndrome and a eye strain. It is hard to describe to those that have to have instant gratification that there are some things that are worth the wait.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin